Interview with Gawain Jones

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
User avatar
Matthew Webb
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:17 am
Location: London
Contact:

Interview with Gawain Jones

Post by Matthew Webb » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:37 am

Top Grandmaster Gawain Jones has kindly given up his time to answer some questions for the Yorkshire Chess Association website! It's well worth a read... :D Interview with Gawain Jones

There is also a quiz for anyone who is interested, currently only 1 player has managed to get 100%, a certain IM (not mentioning any names) failed to achieve top marks but only because he couldn't name who the youngest ever grandmaster was! :) Check it out - General Knowledge Chess Quiz

User avatar
Matthew Webb
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:17 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Interview with Gawain Jones

Post by Matthew Webb » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:11 pm

Fantastic response for the Yorkshire Chess Quiz - we've now had over 100 people try it out so far... Still only one with 100% (see home page for leaders).

It seems nobody knows who is the women's world champion! Tut tut :-)

User avatar
Joey Stewart
Posts: 2173
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:35 pm
Location: All Of Them
Contact:

Re: Interview with Gawain Jones

Post by Joey Stewart » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:23 pm

I was quite pleased with how I did in that quiz, although I did have to guess two of the pictures.
Any opinions expressed will not be held to account.

Ian Stephens
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:59 am
Location: Merseyside

Re: Interview with Gawain Jones

Post by Ian Stephens » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:54 am

Joey Stewart wrote:I was quite pleased with how I did in that quiz, although I did have to guess two of the pictures.
Nice Quiz Matthew, Joey did you beat 48/55? I also had to guess on a picture of Peter Cloudsdale (correctly I may add), thought I might have had to claim a 10.2 as I was getting short on time! In one of the diagrams instinctively went for the correct Rh7 then convinced myself to choose Nd6? bit like my OTB play :(
Ex-President of Liverpool Chess Club, now mere Tournament Controller and Chief bottle washer.

Matthew Turner
Posts: 3617
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:54 am

Re: Interview with Gawain Jones

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:05 am

Excellent quiz. I only got 47, but I did know who the Womens' World Champion is.

John Moore
Posts: 2394
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 6:33 pm

Re: Interview with Gawain Jones

Post by John Moore » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:10 pm

What a good quiz - scored 53. Failed miserably to get Karjakin as youngest GM - not sure what the other missing one was.

Jonathan Rogers
Posts: 5152
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 pm

Re: Interview with Gawain Jones

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:30 pm

I got 51, so apparently four marks were up for grabs in recognising Peter Cloudsdale. Well, I don't know, who's he? :o

Matthew Turner
Posts: 3617
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:54 am

Re: Interview with Gawain Jones

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:43 pm

ECF homepage, advert top left.

John Moore
Posts: 2394
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 6:33 pm

Re: Interview with Gawain Jones

Post by John Moore » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:50 pm

Perhaps I only got 1 wrong then - that suggests Jonathan that you got another one wrong as well as the famous Mr Cloudsdale. The only reason I got him was that I knew he wasn't the others!

Matthew Turner
Posts: 3617
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:54 am

Re: Interview with Gawain Jones

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:53 pm

There could also be degrees of wrongness? Maybe you get some points for recognising the second youngest GM for example.

Jonathan Rogers
Posts: 5152
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 pm

Re: Interview with Gawain Jones

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:11 pm

pretty sure that I just got Mr Cloudsdale wrong.

Jonathan Rogers
Posts: 5152
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 pm

Re: Interview with Gawain Jones

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:15 pm

oh, he's President of the YCA! A "general knowledge" question?! ...

User avatar
Joey Stewart
Posts: 2173
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:35 pm
Location: All Of Them
Contact:

Re: Interview with Gawain Jones

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:22 pm

I guessed peter clousdale right, well a semi guess since I knew two of the other people on the list, and managed to guess another of the obscure pictures right so ended up getting 55/55 which I was quite pleased with.
Any opinions expressed will not be held to account.

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 10975
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: Interview with Gawain Jones

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:40 pm

You should warn people it is timed. I went to get a drink (honest!) and it timed me out. :(

Will Taylor
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Interview with Gawain Jones

Post by Will Taylor » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:08 pm

Nice quiz. Like others, I had to guess on the Peter Cloudsdale picture, but managed to get 100%.
Image

Post Reply