There is also a quiz for anyone who is interested, currently only 1 player has managed to get 100%, a certain IM (not mentioning any names) failed to achieve top marks but only because he couldn't name who the youngest ever grandmaster was!
Interview with Gawain Jones
- Matthew Webb
- Posts: 62
- Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:17 am
- Location: London
- Contact:
Interview with Gawain Jones
Top Grandmaster Gawain Jones has kindly given up his time to answer some questions for the Yorkshire Chess Association website! It's well worth a read...
Interview with Gawain Jones
There is also a quiz for anyone who is interested, currently only 1 player has managed to get 100%, a certain IM (not mentioning any names) failed to achieve top marks but only because he couldn't name who the youngest ever grandmaster was!
Check it out - General Knowledge Chess Quiz
There is also a quiz for anyone who is interested, currently only 1 player has managed to get 100%, a certain IM (not mentioning any names) failed to achieve top marks but only because he couldn't name who the youngest ever grandmaster was!
- Matthew Webb
- Posts: 62
- Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:17 am
- Location: London
- Contact:
Re: Interview with Gawain Jones
Fantastic response for the Yorkshire Chess Quiz - we've now had over 100 people try it out so far... Still only one with 100% (see home page for leaders).
It seems nobody knows who is the women's world champion! Tut tut
It seems nobody knows who is the women's world champion! Tut tut
- Joey Stewart
- Posts: 2173
- Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:35 pm
- Location: All Of Them
- Contact:
Re: Interview with Gawain Jones
I was quite pleased with how I did in that quiz, although I did have to guess two of the pictures.
Any opinions expressed will not be held to account.
-
Ian Stephens
- Posts: 117
- Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:59 am
- Location: Merseyside
Re: Interview with Gawain Jones
Nice Quiz Matthew, Joey did you beat 48/55? I also had to guess on a picture of Peter Cloudsdale (correctly I may add), thought I might have had to claim a 10.2 as I was getting short on time! In one of the diagrams instinctively went for the correct Rh7 then convinced myself to choose Nd6? bit like my OTB playJoey Stewart wrote:I was quite pleased with how I did in that quiz, although I did have to guess two of the pictures.
Ex-President of Liverpool Chess Club, now mere Tournament Controller and Chief bottle washer.
-
Matthew Turner
- Posts: 3617
- Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:54 am
Re: Interview with Gawain Jones
Excellent quiz. I only got 47, but I did know who the Womens' World Champion is.
-
John Moore
- Posts: 2394
- Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 6:33 pm
Re: Interview with Gawain Jones
What a good quiz - scored 53. Failed miserably to get Karjakin as youngest GM - not sure what the other missing one was.
-
Jonathan Rogers
- Posts: 5152
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 pm
Re: Interview with Gawain Jones
I got 51, so apparently four marks were up for grabs in recognising Peter Cloudsdale. Well, I don't know, who's he? 
-
Matthew Turner
- Posts: 3617
- Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:54 am
Re: Interview with Gawain Jones
ECF homepage, advert top left.
-
John Moore
- Posts: 2394
- Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 6:33 pm
Re: Interview with Gawain Jones
Perhaps I only got 1 wrong then - that suggests Jonathan that you got another one wrong as well as the famous Mr Cloudsdale. The only reason I got him was that I knew he wasn't the others!
-
Matthew Turner
- Posts: 3617
- Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:54 am
Re: Interview with Gawain Jones
There could also be degrees of wrongness? Maybe you get some points for recognising the second youngest GM for example.
-
Jonathan Rogers
- Posts: 5152
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 pm
Re: Interview with Gawain Jones
pretty sure that I just got Mr Cloudsdale wrong.
-
Jonathan Rogers
- Posts: 5152
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 pm
Re: Interview with Gawain Jones
oh, he's President of the YCA! A "general knowledge" question?! ...
- Joey Stewart
- Posts: 2173
- Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:35 pm
- Location: All Of Them
- Contact:
Re: Interview with Gawain Jones
I guessed peter clousdale right, well a semi guess since I knew two of the other people on the list, and managed to guess another of the obscure pictures right so ended up getting 55/55 which I was quite pleased with.
Any opinions expressed will not be held to account.
- Christopher Kreuzer
- Posts: 10977
- Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
- Location: London
Re: Interview with Gawain Jones
You should warn people it is timed. I went to get a drink (honest!) and it timed me out. 
-
Will Taylor
- Posts: 14
- Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:01 pm
- Contact:
Re: Interview with Gawain Jones
Nice quiz. Like others, I had to guess on the Peter Cloudsdale picture, but managed to get 100%.
