Hats at the board

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 10565
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Hats at the board

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:09 am

Have there been many players who have been known consistently to prefer wearing a hat at the chessboard?

My enquiry prompted by coming across this photo, from last year's tournament.

Image
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Re: Hats at the board

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:07 am

I can only think of those two (Keith Arkell and Mike Surtees) though I dare so most players north of Sheffield wear cloth caps 24 hours a day.

Jonathan Bryant
Posts: 3452
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: Hats at the board

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:51 am

Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote:I can only think of those two (Keith Arkell and Mike Surtees) though I dare so most players north of Sheffield wear cloth caps 24 hours a day.
That's Mike Surtees on the right is it? He's just a Teenage Dirtbag Baby.

Andrew Stone
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:13 am

Re: Hats at the board

Post by Andrew Stone » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:13 am

Wasn't there some unknown German who owned an electronics shop who wore a hat throughout his amazing performance in an open where he won it with a 2800 result or something?

Jonathan Bryant
Posts: 3452
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: Hats at the board

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:36 am

Andrew Stone wrote:Wasn't there some unknown German who owned an electronics shop who wore a hat throughout his amazing performance in an open where he won it with a 2800 result or something?
Clemens Allwerman is the chap you refer to, I believe.

http://www.chessbase.com/columns/column.asp?pid=190

Phil Neatherway
Posts: 685
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:10 pm
Location: Abingdon

Re: Hats at the board

Post by Phil Neatherway » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:43 am

Didn't Mark Hebden wear a hat in his younger days? (Around the same time that Murray Chandler walys wore shorts).

Peter Sharpe
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:51 pm

Re: Hats at the board

Post by Peter Sharpe » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:32 pm

I remember playing a chess match in the North Midlands League for AGD against Sutton about 20 years ago. My opponent (i think his name is Robinson) wore a hat, a white doctor coat and walked barefoot. I remember he was playing in the Derby chess congress when there was a lot of snow that weekend and he was still barefoot! Dont know if he still plays chess as I have not played in the North Midlands league for a long time

Ian Kingston
Posts: 1072
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:16 pm
Location: Sutton Coldfield
Contact:

Re: Hats at the board

Post by Ian Kingston » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:30 pm

Peter Sharpe wrote:I remember playing a chess match in the North Midlands League for AGD against Sutton about 20 years ago. My opponent (i think his name is Robinson) wore a hat, a white doctor coat and walked barefoot. I remember he was playing in the Derby chess congress when there was a lot of snow that weekend and he was still barefoot! Dont know if he still plays chess as I have not played in the North Midlands league for a long time
Sounds like Alan Robinson of Ashfield - still playing in the Notts League.

James Pratt
Posts: 730
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: Hats at the board

Post by James Pratt » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:08 pm

Henry Bird wore a top hat. Do I win £5?

Mike Gunn
Posts: 1116
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:45 pm

Re: Hats at the board

Post by Mike Gunn » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:08 pm

I remember seeing David Bronstein playing wearing a bobble hat, overcoat and gloves. (It was on the pier at Hastings.)

Peter Sharpe
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:51 pm

Re: Hats at the board

Post by Peter Sharpe » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:22 pm

Ian Kingston wrote:
Peter Sharpe wrote:I remember playing a chess match in the North Midlands League for AGD against Sutton about 20 years ago. My opponent (i think his name is Robinson) wore a hat, a white doctor coat and walked barefoot. I remember he was playing in the Derby chess congress when there was a lot of snow that weekend and he was still barefoot! Dont know if he still plays chess as I have not played in the North Midlands league for a long time
Sounds like Alan Robinson of Ashfield - still playing in the Notts League.
yes, it is Alan Robinson. Does he still have very long hair, wearing the same hat, white doctor coat and walking barefoot?

John Philpott

Re: Hats at the board

Post by John Philpott » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:30 pm

I have been known to wear an Angels baseball cap at the board.

Ian Kingston
Posts: 1072
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:16 pm
Location: Sutton Coldfield
Contact:

Re: Hats at the board

Post by Ian Kingston » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:11 pm

Peter Sharpe wrote:
Ian Kingston wrote:
Peter Sharpe wrote:I remember playing a chess match in the North Midlands League for AGD against Sutton about 20 years ago. My opponent (i think his name is Robinson) wore a hat, a white doctor coat and walked barefoot. I remember he was playing in the Derby chess congress when there was a lot of snow that weekend and he was still barefoot! Dont know if he still plays chess as I have not played in the North Midlands league for a long time
Sounds like Alan Robinson of Ashfield - still playing in the Notts League.
yes, it is Alan Robinson. Does he still have very long hair, wearing the same hat, white doctor coat and walking barefoot?
Still barefoot; definitely no white coat; hat not ringing any bells; hair not that long (collar length). Desperate time trouble addict: I once saw him spend 70 minutes over his first five moves, leaving just five minutes for the next 30. The result was exactly what you'd expect.

Sarah de Lisle
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:12 am

Re: Hats at the board

Post by Sarah de Lisle » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:24 am

Random - sorry - wasn't there a guy called Kevin of the Teachers who used to go around barefoot too? Or have I dreamed him?

I can definitely remember Mark wearing a hat in the 1980s - a sort of green sun hat, suited him.

Michael Jones
Posts: 642
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:37 pm

Re: Hats at the board

Post by Michael Jones » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:01 am

I recall one opponent from my days in inter-county junior tournaments who played the entire game with a baseball cap pulled right down over her face. I don't wish to use it as an excuse for the result, since she was clearly better than me anyway, but I did find it somewhat disconcerting not to be able to see who I was playing.

Post Reply