My enquiry prompted by coming across this photo, from last year's tournament.
Hats at the board
- JustinHorton
- Posts: 10565
- Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
- Location: Somewhere you're not
Hats at the board
Have there been many players who have been known consistently to prefer wearing a hat at the chessboard?
My enquiry prompted by coming across this photo, from last year's tournament.

My enquiry prompted by coming across this photo, from last year's tournament.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."
-
Jon D'Souza-Eva
Re: Hats at the board
I can only think of those two (Keith Arkell and Mike Surtees) though I dare so most players north of Sheffield wear cloth caps 24 hours a day.
-
Jonathan Bryant
- Posts: 3452
- Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 3:54 pm
Re: Hats at the board
That's Mike Surtees on the right is it? He's just a Teenage Dirtbag Baby.Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote:I can only think of those two (Keith Arkell and Mike Surtees) though I dare so most players north of Sheffield wear cloth caps 24 hours a day.
The Abysmal Depths of Chess: https://theabysmaldepthsofchess.blogspot.com
-
Andrew Stone
- Posts: 146
- Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:13 am
Re: Hats at the board
Wasn't there some unknown German who owned an electronics shop who wore a hat throughout his amazing performance in an open where he won it with a 2800 result or something?
-
Jonathan Bryant
- Posts: 3452
- Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 3:54 pm
Re: Hats at the board
Clemens Allwerman is the chap you refer to, I believe.Andrew Stone wrote:Wasn't there some unknown German who owned an electronics shop who wore a hat throughout his amazing performance in an open where he won it with a 2800 result or something?
http://www.chessbase.com/columns/column.asp?pid=190
The Abysmal Depths of Chess: https://theabysmaldepthsofchess.blogspot.com
-
Phil Neatherway
- Posts: 685
- Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:10 pm
- Location: Abingdon
Re: Hats at the board
Didn't Mark Hebden wear a hat in his younger days? (Around the same time that Murray Chandler walys wore shorts).
-
Peter Sharpe
- Posts: 23
- Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:51 pm
Re: Hats at the board
I remember playing a chess match in the North Midlands League for AGD against Sutton about 20 years ago. My opponent (i think his name is Robinson) wore a hat, a white doctor coat and walked barefoot. I remember he was playing in the Derby chess congress when there was a lot of snow that weekend and he was still barefoot! Dont know if he still plays chess as I have not played in the North Midlands league for a long time
-
Ian Kingston
- Posts: 1072
- Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:16 pm
- Location: Sutton Coldfield
- Contact:
Re: Hats at the board
Sounds like Alan Robinson of Ashfield - still playing in the Notts League.Peter Sharpe wrote:I remember playing a chess match in the North Midlands League for AGD against Sutton about 20 years ago. My opponent (i think his name is Robinson) wore a hat, a white doctor coat and walked barefoot. I remember he was playing in the Derby chess congress when there was a lot of snow that weekend and he was still barefoot! Dont know if he still plays chess as I have not played in the North Midlands league for a long time
Ian Kingston
http://www.iankingston.com
http://www.iankingston.com
-
James Pratt
- Posts: 730
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:10 pm
Re: Hats at the board
Henry Bird wore a top hat. Do I win £5?
Re: Hats at the board
I remember seeing David Bronstein playing wearing a bobble hat, overcoat and gloves. (It was on the pier at Hastings.)
-
Peter Sharpe
- Posts: 23
- Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:51 pm
Re: Hats at the board
yes, it is Alan Robinson. Does he still have very long hair, wearing the same hat, white doctor coat and walking barefoot?Ian Kingston wrote:Sounds like Alan Robinson of Ashfield - still playing in the Notts League.Peter Sharpe wrote:I remember playing a chess match in the North Midlands League for AGD against Sutton about 20 years ago. My opponent (i think his name is Robinson) wore a hat, a white doctor coat and walked barefoot. I remember he was playing in the Derby chess congress when there was a lot of snow that weekend and he was still barefoot! Dont know if he still plays chess as I have not played in the North Midlands league for a long time
-
John Philpott
Re: Hats at the board
I have been known to wear an Angels baseball cap at the board.
-
Ian Kingston
- Posts: 1072
- Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:16 pm
- Location: Sutton Coldfield
- Contact:
Re: Hats at the board
Still barefoot; definitely no white coat; hat not ringing any bells; hair not that long (collar length). Desperate time trouble addict: I once saw him spend 70 minutes over his first five moves, leaving just five minutes for the next 30. The result was exactly what you'd expect.Peter Sharpe wrote:yes, it is Alan Robinson. Does he still have very long hair, wearing the same hat, white doctor coat and walking barefoot?Ian Kingston wrote:Sounds like Alan Robinson of Ashfield - still playing in the Notts League.Peter Sharpe wrote:I remember playing a chess match in the North Midlands League for AGD against Sutton about 20 years ago. My opponent (i think his name is Robinson) wore a hat, a white doctor coat and walked barefoot. I remember he was playing in the Derby chess congress when there was a lot of snow that weekend and he was still barefoot! Dont know if he still plays chess as I have not played in the North Midlands league for a long time
Ian Kingston
http://www.iankingston.com
http://www.iankingston.com
-
Sarah de Lisle
- Posts: 52
- Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:12 am
Re: Hats at the board
Random - sorry - wasn't there a guy called Kevin of the Teachers who used to go around barefoot too? Or have I dreamed him?
I can definitely remember Mark wearing a hat in the 1980s - a sort of green sun hat, suited him.
I can definitely remember Mark wearing a hat in the 1980s - a sort of green sun hat, suited him.
-
Michael Jones
- Posts: 642
- Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:37 pm
Re: Hats at the board
I recall one opponent from my days in inter-county junior tournaments who played the entire game with a baseball cap pulled right down over her face. I don't wish to use it as an excuse for the result, since she was clearly better than me anyway, but I did find it somewhat disconcerting not to be able to see who I was playing.