Off beat or Mainline?
- Gavin Strachan
- Posts: 676
- Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:06 am
- Contact:
Off beat or Mainline?
In a day and age of lots of easy to access chess theory is it best to play off-beat lines that maybe lead to not great positions and hope to outplay opponents in the Middle/End game or play mainline opening theory? Does you are playing someone with a much higher/lower/similar grade affect your decision or would you always play the same way?
- IM Jack Rudd
- Posts: 5177
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
- Location: Bideford
- Contact:
-
Paul Dargan
- Posts: 526
- Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 11:23 pm
- Robert Jurjevic
- Posts: 207
- Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 1:31 pm
- Location: Surrey
Already for more than a year I'm trying to remember and understand a few main variations in about 14 openings in my opening repertoire. If I could remember the variation I would play it. The stronger my opponent the more scared I am. I found that stronger opponents follow the book more than say opponents on my level. I'm 99 in 06/07 (and I think that I will be below 80 in 07/08, although my impression was that I improved in chess in 2007). 
Robert Jurjevic
Vafra
Vafra
-
Kevin Sawers
- Posts: 6
- Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:25 pm
- Location: Southampton
Off-beat might be useful if you're playing someone who's likely to have more openings knowledge than you - so you at least get into a decent middlegame.
But in my own experience, spending a bit of time on some main-line openings does give a more rounded chess knowledge. In my first year of serious chess I've focused on the Sicilian, King's Indian and 2 Knights'/Evans Gambit and it's been good. I seem to have got good positions out of the openings in most of my games, even against higher-graded players.
Mind you, it's so easy to spend all my chess study time on openings and ignore the rest of the game! Bad mistake, in my opinion.
But in my own experience, spending a bit of time on some main-line openings does give a more rounded chess knowledge. In my first year of serious chess I've focused on the Sicilian, King's Indian and 2 Knights'/Evans Gambit and it's been good. I seem to have got good positions out of the openings in most of my games, even against higher-graded players.
Mind you, it's so easy to spend all my chess study time on openings and ignore the rest of the game! Bad mistake, in my opinion.
- Charles W. Wood
- Posts: 554
- Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:50 pm
- Location: Bradford, West Yorkshire
- Contact:
Re: Off beat or Mainline?
I like going Off Beat in the Pirc and the KID. I love watching higher graded players panic. I've chin a couple too. 
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion
Captain of Legion