Off beat or Mainline?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Post Reply

Off beat or Mainline

Off beat is best!
3
38%
Mainline is best!
5
63%
 
Total votes: 8

User avatar
Gavin Strachan
Posts: 676
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:06 am
Contact:

Off beat or Mainline?

Post by Gavin Strachan » Sun May 20, 2007 8:52 pm

In a day and age of lots of easy to access chess theory is it best to play off-beat lines that maybe lead to not great positions and hope to outplay opponents in the Middle/End game or play mainline opening theory? Does you are playing someone with a much higher/lower/similar grade affect your decision or would you always play the same way?

User avatar
IM Jack Rudd
Posts: 5177
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
Location: Bideford
Contact:

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon May 21, 2007 11:34 pm

I vote for "mix it up; do whichever is appropriate for the game".

Paul Dargan
Posts: 526
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 11:23 pm

Post by Paul Dargan » Tue May 22, 2007 5:08 pm

A fence sitting reply of it depends...on opponent's strength, your view of their level of theory, your propensity for time trouble and theirs, etc. etc..

Indeed sometimes I churn out 20+ moves of theory - other times we're both on our own from move 5 or 6

Paul

User avatar
Robert Jurjevic
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 1:31 pm
Location: Surrey

Post by Robert Jurjevic » Tue May 22, 2007 5:57 pm

Already for more than a year I'm trying to remember and understand a few main variations in about 14 openings in my opening repertoire. If I could remember the variation I would play it. The stronger my opponent the more scared I am. I found that stronger opponents follow the book more than say opponents on my level. I'm 99 in 06/07 (and I think that I will be below 80 in 07/08, although my impression was that I improved in chess in 2007). :shock:
Robert Jurjevic
Vafra

Kevin Sawers
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:25 pm
Location: Southampton

Post by Kevin Sawers » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:46 pm

Off-beat might be useful if you're playing someone who's likely to have more openings knowledge than you - so you at least get into a decent middlegame.

But in my own experience, spending a bit of time on some main-line openings does give a more rounded chess knowledge. In my first year of serious chess I've focused on the Sicilian, King's Indian and 2 Knights'/Evans Gambit and it's been good. I seem to have got good positions out of the openings in most of my games, even against higher-graded players.

Mind you, it's so easy to spend all my chess study time on openings and ignore the rest of the game! Bad mistake, in my opinion.

User avatar
Charles W. Wood
Posts: 554
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:50 pm
Location: Bradford, West Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Off beat or Mainline?

Post by Charles W. Wood » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:19 am

I like going Off Beat in the Pirc and the KID. I love watching higher graded players panic. I've chin a couple too. :lol:
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Post Reply