Does anyone else Bet on Chess?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Post Reply
Joshua Gibbs

Does anyone else Bet on Chess?

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:42 am

Hi does anyone else bet on chess?

I bet both online and in real life....

User avatar
MJMcCready
Posts: 4417
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Re: Does anyone else Bet on Chess?

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:59 am

I will have a flutter on Magnus in the next world championship match.

User avatar
MJMcCready
Posts: 4417
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Re: Does anyone else Bet on Chess?

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:37 am

What odds would you have got on betting that half way into the candidates we are yet to see a Berlin Wall? 1,000,000-1?

User avatar
Michael Mkpadi
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 9:10 am
Contact:

Re: Does anyone else Bet on Chess?

Post by Michael Mkpadi » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:36 am

Ok I don't bet on chess but I was contacted by a betting firm who wanted a chess consultant to help them work out how to "arrange their product for optimal impact on routes to market". I don't know what made me a candidate for that role but I was running a chess tournament news feed at the time I suppose.

Would I bet on chess? No. Chess is fixed....lol seriously what with the Berlin defence, players playing safe and Agon hiding the moves I'd rather not.
Chess is a conversation. At Chess Club Live everyone can join that conversation whatever your elo rating. :D
Image
http://social.chessclublive.com

User avatar
MJMcCready
Posts: 4417
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Re: Does anyone else Bet on Chess?

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:20 am

Which firm was that?

User avatar
Paolo Casaschi
Posts: 1194
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:46 am

Re: Does anyone else Bet on Chess?

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:53 am

No.
Betting is a very bad idea, on chess or anything else.

Joshua Gibbs

Re: Does anyone else Bet on Chess?

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:40 pm

looks like Reds will cover me... Image

John Moore
Posts: 2394
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 6:33 pm

Re: Does anyone else Bet on Chess?

Post by John Moore » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:49 pm

Hi Joshua - looks like the Reds failed to cover you. Small time betting is fine if it's under control but we have all heard about gambling addiction. My father spent a good deal of money and most of his time betting on horse racing and won some very significant amounts - but there was the downside and let me tell you that was no fun.

Joshua - could you also think about removing some, at least, of all of this stuff that you put under every post. You are accepted here without it all.

Joshua Gibbs

Re: Does anyone else Bet on Chess?

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:25 pm

lol... Hope Karjakin and Anand win now!

John - I just like to tell people who I am so they know my perspective on things.

John Moore
Posts: 2394
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 6:33 pm

Re: Does anyone else Bet on Chess?

Post by John Moore » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:48 pm

Yes - but it's half a screen full every time! Too much. What you say in your posts will give people a fairly good idea of your perspective - I mean we now know you like a bet.

User avatar
Joey Stewart
Posts: 2173
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:35 pm
Location: All Of Them
Contact:

Re: Does anyone else Bet on Chess?

Post by Joey Stewart » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:38 pm

Where are you finding places to give you odds on this - I thought bookies pretty much only did football and horse racing.
Any opinions expressed will not be held to account.

User avatar
IM Jack Rudd
Posts: 5177
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
Location: Bideford
Contact:

Re: Does anyone else Bet on Chess?

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:24 pm

Betfair and the like, probably. There are loads of different things you can bet on on the betting sites.

Joshua Gibbs

Re: Does anyone else Bet on Chess?

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:43 pm

i use marathon bet... cant believe i lost lol

Post Reply