Matches for the British Championship?
-
Graham Borrowdale
Re: Matches for the British Championship?
Sounds like the FIDE cycle being reinvented...
I like matches as well, but I am not sure it would grip the public as much as the 11-round swiss does.
On a practical note, the loser of the match would presumably be shut out of next year's match, assuming it is played alongside the open, which as you say would be part of the draw for spectators. In other words you get a two-yearly shot at most
I like matches as well, but I am not sure it would grip the public as much as the 11-round swiss does.
On a practical note, the loser of the match would presumably be shut out of next year's match, assuming it is played alongside the open, which as you say would be part of the draw for spectators. In other words you get a two-yearly shot at most
-
Roger de Coverly
- Posts: 22665
- Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm
Re: Matches for the British Championship?
Maybe not, but a possible cultural export to other activities like dodgy metaphors.Paul Cooksey wrote: Swiss tournaments are not well understood, I suspect.
Any sporting or competitive event where
(a) competitors are expected to play to the end
(b) games/matches can take place simultaneously
(c) there are too many entrants for an all play all
could be run as a Swiss
I'm not sure whether three results (win/draw/loss) are needed to make the theory work. If you have draws, a knock out format is always problematic.
Winners meet winners, losers meet losers, everyone takes part should be an easy concept.
Going back to the 1960s though, wouldn't it have been repetitive after a while watching Penrose splat people? He could regularly beat Hartston, it was only Keene of his late sixties, early seventies challengers who could have gone head to head with a reasonable prospect of success.
In recent years, if Adams was prepared to be the champion and Short the challenger, wouldn't it always have been the same match every other year? If the event wasn't well enough funded to attract either of them, then there could have been numerous winners. Possibly Rowson would have been able to fend off challenges until Howell or Jones came through.
-
Jonathan Bryant
- Posts: 3452
- Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 3:54 pm
Re: Matches for the British Championship?
That Penrose bottled a direct challenge to a match from RDK in (iirc) 1970 tells you that Raymondo had a more than 'reasonable' prospect of success by that time.Roger de Coverly wrote:... it was only Keene of his late sixties, early seventies challengers who could have gone head to head with a reasonable prospect of success.
I'd like the era of the challenge to a match to come back, but I doubt it will somehow. I kind of like the idea of a match to decide the British Championship too, but one year seems far too long a gap between challenging and getting to play.
The Abysmal Depths of Chess: https://theabysmaldepthsofchess.blogspot.com
-
Alan Walton
- Posts: 1456
- Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:33 pm
- Location: Oldham
Re: Matches for the British Championship?
I would kind of agree with this, the general point that comes across when I speak with my non-playing friends they always are under the impression that in tournaments you get knocked out when you lose, I then have to spend a few minutes explaining the Swiss system and you can see them getting bored quite quicklyPaul Cooksey wrote:Swiss tournaments are not well understood, I suspect.
- Greg Breed
- Posts: 723
- Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:30 am
- Location: Aylesbury, Bucks, UK
- Contact:
Re: Matches for the British Championship?
Clearly the friends you are explaining it to are not interested in what you have to say anyway. The swiss system is rather like a league and the graded sections can be akin to divisions. The only difference is that they aren't all-play-all.Alan Walton wrote:...the general point that comes across when I speak with my non-playing friends they always are under the impression that in tournaments you get knocked out when you lose, I then have to spend a few minutes explaining the Swiss system and you can see them getting bored quite quickly
As RdC said
Roger de Coverly wrote:Winners meet winners, losers meet losers, everyone takes part should be an easy concept.
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)
-
Alan Walton
- Posts: 1456
- Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:33 pm
- Location: Oldham
Re: Matches for the British Championship?
They are interested in what and how well I do, but generally they are not that interested in the finer details of the Swiss system, my normal reply nowadays is you play every round against somebody on the same scoreGreg Breed wrote:Clearly the friends you are explaining it to are not interested in what you have to say anyway. The swiss system is rather like a league and the graded sections can be akin to divisions. The only difference is that they aren't all-play-all.Alan Walton wrote:...the general point that comes across when I speak with my non-playing friends they always are under the impression that in tournaments you get knocked out when you lose, I then have to spend a few minutes explaining the Swiss system and you can see them getting bored quite quickly
As RdC saidRoger de Coverly wrote:Winners meet winners, losers meet losers, everyone takes part should be an easy concept.
- Greg Breed
- Posts: 723
- Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:30 am
- Location: Aylesbury, Bucks, UK
- Contact:
Re: Matches for the British Championship?
An even more simple explanation - I like it!Alan Walton wrote:They are interested in what and how well I do, but generally they are not that interested in the finer details of the Swiss system, my normal reply nowadays is you play every round against somebody on the same scoreGreg Breed wrote:Clearly the friends you are explaining it to are not interested in what you have to say anyway. The swiss system is rather like a league and the graded sections can be akin to divisions. The only difference is that they aren't all-play-all.Alan Walton wrote:...the general point that comes across when I speak with my non-playing friends they always are under the impression that in tournaments you get knocked out when you lose, I then have to spend a few minutes explaining the Swiss system and you can see them getting bored quite quickly
As RdC saidRoger de Coverly wrote:Winners meet winners, losers meet losers, everyone takes part should be an easy concept.
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)