Opening ceremonies

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 10974
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Opening ceremonies

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:57 pm

Do they have anything like the pomp and ceremony of the Olympics at the Chess Olympiads? I'm very much enjoying the London 2012 Olympics opening ceremony, but I had forgotten how tedious the procession of athletes can be. Only up to G so far... (the running order is in French, isn't it?)

Stewart Reuben
Posts: 4566
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:04 pm
Location: writer

Re: Opening ceremonies

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:04 pm

Obviously nothing so lavish.
2010 Siberia they had a chess ballet. It ws immediately recognisable as the Immortal Game. 2008 just speeches.

I was thinking what we could do in Torquay next year for the 100th British. A parade of champions would be pretty boring. A special event for them would be more interesting. Just getting Jonathan Penrose there would be a coup. Sting to open it?

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 10974
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: Opening ceremonies

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:37 pm

Sting? Do they play chess? You could ask Danny Boyle...

Stewart Reuben
Posts: 4566
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:04 pm
Location: writer

Re: Opening ceremonies

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:39 am

Christopher >Sting? Do they play chess? You could ask Danny Boyle...<

Surely Sting is one person? Yes he does play chess. Allegedly so does Ringo Starr. I doubt anybody in chess knows Danny Bole.

Below is a list of celebrities I have reason to believe are interested in chess. Do add from your own knowledge.

CELEBRITIES INTERESTED IN CHESS

Prince William, Lennox Lewis, Sir Patrick Moore, C J De Mooi, Steve Davis, Boris Becker, Stephen Fry, Jude Law, Madonna, Guy Ritchie, Arnold Schwarzenegger. Will Smith, Jack Dee, Alexei Sayle, Greta Scacchi, Sir Tim Rice, Sting, Martin Amis, Richard Branson?
Greg Rusedski, Terry Marsh, Carol Vorderman, Jon Cleese, Donald Trelford, Stephen Moss, Ray Snoddy OBE, David Walliams? Elaine Paige? Fred Flintoff, John Snow, Kevin Spacey, Ben Kingsley, Hugh Laurie, Dominic O’Brien, Richard Farleigh, Nick Murphy, James Essinger, John Healy, Tom Rowlands and Ed Simons – Chemical Brothers??

Simon Bibby
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: Opening ceremonies

Post by Simon Bibby » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:03 am

carrying on from Stewart:

RZA from Wu Tang Clan is famously a big fan:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/07/arts/ ... 7clan.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEa8aOZYcTY

Closer to home, purveyors of masterly sardonic social satire, Half Man Half Biscuit. And my favourite group:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzKdtMGBphY
http://www.chrisrand.com/hmhb/csi-amble ... hoo-chess/

Nigel from HMHB worth approaching one would think if one fancies a live song about internet chess at the ceremony. Famously avoided commercial success, imagine the lack of funds wouldn't discourage overly. Would probably appeal to his sense of humour.

Incidentally, Calvia 2004 Olympiad, the only one I have played in, had quite an inspiring opening ceremony. Short of dancing nurses, but still worthy.

Nicky Chorley
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Opening ceremonies

Post by Nicky Chorley » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:39 am

Simon Bibby wrote:carrying on from Stewart:

RZA from Wu Tang Clan is famously a big fan:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/07/arts/ ... 7clan.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEa8aOZYcTY
GZA is also and he and DJ Muggs from Cypress Hill created an album, Grandmasters, on which most of the track titles are chess terms.

User avatar
Matt Mackenzie
Posts: 6385
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
Location: Millom, Cumbria

Re: Opening ceremonies

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:14 pm

I think it is fair to say some of those "celebrities" are more interested in chess than others (and, indeed, some are greater celebs than others)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Clive Blackburn

Re: Opening ceremonies

Post by Clive Blackburn » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:21 pm

Loads more on this list, mostly present day but some historic ones too.

I'm pleased to see that Woody Allen plays, as I am a great fan of his films.

http://www.chessville.com/misc/History/ ... layers.htm

User avatar
John Clarke
Posts: 915
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:07 pm

Re: Opening ceremonies

Post by John Clarke » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:40 pm

Engelbert Humperdinck used to while away his off-stage hours by playing chess with fellow-tourers Cat Stevens and the late John (Maus) Walker. Mr Stevens has doubtless given up the pastime since his conversion to Islam.

I once saw a reference in the early 60s to Roger Moore playing the game during breaks in filming ("he really concentrates!" gushed a female co-star).
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Jonathan Rogers
Posts: 5152
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 pm

Re: Opening ceremonies

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:48 am

I bet that comedian David Mitchell is a fan, or at least would be willing to be converted. There is a fair bit of chess in his comedy, eg Peep Show

"We (nerdy kids) used to hide away at school and made a secret society with the chess club"

(On his stag night, when he is due to marry someone he doesn't like anymore, playing chess against his friend who is bored and refuses even to turn on the computer so that he can pretend to be competing) "I wish I could have a relationship with the chess computer"

User avatar
Jon Mahony
Posts: 759
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:47 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Opening ceremonies

Post by Jon Mahony » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:30 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:I bet that comedian David Mitchell is a fan, or at least would be willing to be converted. There is a fair bit of chess in his comedy, eg Peep Show

"We (nerdy kids) used to hide away at school and made a secret society with the chess club"

(On his stag night, when he is due to marry someone he doesn't like anymore, playing chess against his friend who is bored and refuses even to turn on the computer so that he can pretend to be competing) "I wish I could have a relationship with the chess computer"

"I don't want to go clubbing, I want to take your Bishop and grind you down!" :lol: loved that ep. If you look at the kitchen scenes in the flat too, there is always a portable Chess set sitting there.

Heath Ledger was of course a big fan, he was a regular at the outdoor chess tables in Washington Square Park, and won the Junior Chess Championship of Western Australia, at the age of 10. At the time of his death he was planning to direct and act in an adaptation of Walter Tevis’s “The Queens Gambit” Which is a brilliant (if slightly unrealistic) book.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Geoff Chandler
Posts: 3822
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:36 pm
Location: Under Cover
Contact:

Re: Opening ceremonies

Post by Geoff Chandler » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:25 pm

Stewart's suggestion about a celeb to open the tournament is a good idea.

Cut and pasted lists of people who have passed on or Z list celebs are not what we want.
(and no comdedians...they will be playing the moves) :D

We did have a thin skinned celeb as a President but we somehow managed to screw that up.

Stop thinking back alley, look at the main street where the bright lights are.
Go for the PM or HRH Prince Charles. (Torquay is in his neck of the woods.)

Stewart, you must have some ECF headed note paper knocking about.
Drop them both a line, if they refuse then we can post their refusal on the
Official BC site. We can have a super section:

People who so far have declined to Open the 100th British Chess Championship.
If they both say yes....Well I'm sure you handle that tricky situation.

Good Idea Stewart, keep them coming.

Stewart Reuben
Posts: 4566
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:04 pm
Location: writer

Re: Opening ceremonies

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:07 pm

Geoff Stewart, you must have some ECF headed note paper knocking about. Drop them both a line, if they refuse then we can post their refusal on the Official BC site. We can have a super section:

At this time I have no responsibility for any part of the 2013 event.

Kasparov or Anand might be the best bet. But they would both charge. Somebody to sing The Arbiters Song might go down well.

Brendan O'Gorman
Posts: 782
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Opening ceremonies

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:23 pm

Jon Mahony wrote:--text omitted--

Heath Ledger was of course a big fan -- text omitted-- At the time of his death he was planning to direct and act in an adaptation of Walter Tevis’s “The Queens Gambit” Which is a brilliant (if slightly unrealistic) book.
Jon, sorry to quibble but I thought "The Queen's Gambit" wasn't one of Tevis's best. However, I did think it was one of the few realistic accounts of chess in a novel, unlike, say, Nabokov's "The Defence" which isn't really about chess at all.

Geoff Chandler
Posts: 3822
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:36 pm
Location: Under Cover
Contact:

Re: Opening ceremonies

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:02 am

Hi Stewart.

"At this time I have no responsibility for any part of the 2013 event."

Get involved, your experience and contacts would be of great benefit.

I'm fearing this will just let this be another seaside tournament.
It's obvious that everyone is in the same boat regarding their love for game
(the problem is nobody appears to get along with nobody else....what a crew!)
This is a wonderful opportunity for everyone to row together and not let the moment pass.

Just for one tournament then we can all go back to what it was like before.

I know Anand and Kasparov will charge. (will they, has anybody asked them?)
Anyway there is Greek lad I know who with a bit make up would pass for Kasparov.
I'll talk him into being Kasparov for a few hours.

I've pulled this stunt before when I got a Raymond Keene look-a-like
to present the prizes for the one and only tournament I ever organised.
It ended up in the normal Chandler chaos that seems to follow me around.

http://www.chessedinburgh.co.uk/chandle ... handID=244

You should read that, It's is probably the worst ever piece of chess organising
in the history of chess organising.
I ended up with two players for a five round weekend tournament.
(well three actually , one lad got a ½ Friday night bye. He nearly won it.)

Post Reply