Andrew Farthing sought some guidance from Council on charitable status yesterday. But there was almost no time left. I though the forum might like to express its views.
I think Andrew is right that this is the most important consultative paper, since this decision shapes all the others. Indeed, I argued sometime ago that I was opposed to the membership changes at this time, because restructuring was a higher priority. Still, we are where we are...
I'm in the process of arguing in another thread that Junior (charitable)/ Adult is a better split that Amateur (charity) / Professional. I think the meagre benefits of Amateur adult chess being in the charity are outweighed by the practical difficulty of separating it from professional chess, while still having something left worth doing. So I gave an option for a different way.
I also gave an option for "I don't care", since generally I've been surprised how few people have found this interesting
EDIT I'm deeply ashamed of the grocer's apostrophe in the question, but I'm leaving it in. I don't want to risk losing the votes already cast. S'orry.
Charity Consultation Paper - Poll
-
Paul Cooksey
Re: Charity Consultation Paper - Poll
shamelessly bumping my own poll to see if it gets any more responses 
-
Roger de Coverly
- Posts: 22665
- Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm
Re: Charity Consultation Paper - Poll
Isn't the wider point about tax? How does English or even British chess structure itself to achieve the minimum amount of tax payable and maximise tax reclaims? As far as VAT is concerned, the fragmented structure minimises VAT, since individual events which are clearly independent of the ECF fall short of the VAT threshold. It's only the British Championships that get caught and a restructure which separated these from the rest of the ECF would have VAT advantages.
Different and complex VAT rules apply to charities, but isn't the real point to try and get your hands on Gift Aid? The intention, if not always the practice seems that Gift Aid doesn't apply to fees for participation. Also if invested funds are concerned, charitable structures can avoid Inheritance tax and give exemptions from tax on interest and capital gains.
There's a wider society issue as well. The current row on restricting the tax relief on charitable donations has introduced scrutiny as well. I saw it quoted as a over extension of charitable status that it could apply to a Bridge club.
Different and complex VAT rules apply to charities, but isn't the real point to try and get your hands on Gift Aid? The intention, if not always the practice seems that Gift Aid doesn't apply to fees for participation. Also if invested funds are concerned, charitable structures can avoid Inheritance tax and give exemptions from tax on interest and capital gains.
There's a wider society issue as well. The current row on restricting the tax relief on charitable donations has introduced scrutiny as well. I saw it quoted as a over extension of charitable status that it could apply to a Bridge club.