British Chess Championships 2011
- Christopher Kreuzer
- Posts: 10971
- Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
- Location: London
British Chess Championships 2011
Starting a thread for non-game stuff.
Howell will be Black on board 1 in round 5 with 4/4, but does anyone know whether he will face Short, Adams or Jones (who will be in the next score group down on 3.5/4)? Presumably which-ever one plays Howell, the other two on 3.5 will play each other.
Howell will be Black on board 1 in round 5 with 4/4, but does anyone know whether he will face Short, Adams or Jones (who will be in the next score group down on 3.5/4)? Presumably which-ever one plays Howell, the other two on 3.5 will play each other.
-
Matthew Turner
- Posts: 3617
- Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:54 am
Re: British Chess Championships 2011
I think it should be Adams - Howell and Jones - Short
-
John Moore
- Posts: 2394
- Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 6:33 pm
Re: British Chess Championships 2011
Whoever it is, it will be a proper game. Does the median get the upfloat or do colours take preference.
-
John Moore
- Posts: 2394
- Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 6:33 pm
Re: British Chess Championships 2011
If that is right, it will be a very interesting day tomorrow. Will be anyway,
- IM Jack Rudd
- Posts: 5176
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
- Location: Bideford
- Contact:
Re: British Chess Championships 2011
It will certainly not be Jones who upfloats. There are arguments in favour of each of the other two, and I'll be interested to see which takes precedence.
ETA: Colours take precedence, but one person needs to colour-transfer anyway. That's part of where the arguments come in.
ETA: Colours take precedence, but one person needs to colour-transfer anyway. That's part of where the arguments come in.
-
John Moore
- Posts: 2394
- Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 6:33 pm
Re: British Chess Championships 2011
Nigel will be hugely happy if he gets upfloated - but I suppose another White.
-
Matthew Turner
- Posts: 3617
- Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:54 am
Re: British Chess Championships 2011
Sorry, Short - Howell and Adams - Jones is also possible and thinking about it I think this is probably what should/will happen.
-
John Moore
- Posts: 2394
- Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 6:33 pm
Re: British Chess Championships 2011
Will Nigel have to try and beat David - yes he will, I guess, with the white bits. Assuming this is the pairing.
-
Matthew Turner
- Posts: 3617
- Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 11:54 am
Re: British Chess Championships 2011
Of course Nigel will try to win, but nothing is really lost if he draws, it is only round 5 and Nigel will know he has to get to 8.5 or perhaps 9 and there is a long long way to go.
- David Shepherd
- Posts: 938
- Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:46 pm
Re: British Chess Championships 2011
Congratulations to Yan-Fang's brother Yiang-Jang who is 1 point ahead in the U11's with 1 round left.
- Nigel Wright
- Posts: 246
- Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:49 pm
- Location: Derbyshire, England
- Contact:
Re: British Chess Championships 2011
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the current financial situation has drastically affected attendance for this tournament?
I only ask because I was an Arbiter at the recent Northern Gigafinal of the UK Chess Challenge, and when I used to play in it (2007 was the last time) there were nearly 100k entrants, whilst this year I don't think they even hit the 70k mark...
I only ask because I was an Arbiter at the recent Northern Gigafinal of the UK Chess Challenge, and when I used to play in it (2007 was the last time) there were nearly 100k entrants, whilst this year I don't think they even hit the 70k mark...
To Drink or not to Drink, that is the question.
I Drink therefore I am.
I'm not as think as you drunk I am.
I Drink therefore I am.
I'm not as think as you drunk I am.
-
Andrew Stone
- Posts: 146
- Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:13 am
Re: British Chess Championships 2011
No Jones v Jones or Lalic v Lalic despite being right colours and same points. Nick Pert could have been floated up as highest on 2.5 also for a Pert v Pert clash.
- Carl Hibbard
- Posts: 6134
- Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
- Location: Evesham
Re: British Chess Championships 2011
Looks like around 2,700 people watching today after 2seeitlive packed in....
Cheers
Carl Hibbard
Carl Hibbard
-
Keith Arkell
- Posts: 1095
- Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:10 am
Re: British Chess Championships 2011
'Good deed of the day' goes to Nigel Short for devoting the whole of the hour before kick-off today to voluntary coaching for the Chevannes chess initiative. 