Does chess involve to much politics?
Does chess involve to much politics?
What's people's views on chess, does it involve too much politics?
My personal view and experience I would say yes.
matt.
My personal view and experience I would say yes.
matt.
Last edited by matt_ward on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Rob Thompson
- Posts: 757
- Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:03 pm
- Location: Behind you
Re: Does chess involve to much politics?
too*
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.
- Sebastian Stone
- Posts: 153
- Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:21 pm
Re: Does chess involve to much politics?
It might be helpful if you defined "politics" and how much you consider to be too much.
I feel that the little politics that goes on in my club (that I'm aware of) is just about enough to confirm that the members are indeed humans.
I feel that the little politics that goes on in my club (that I'm aware of) is just about enough to confirm that the members are indeed humans.
AKA Scott Stone
"Give a man fire and he's warm for a day, set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."
That's Mr Stone to you, f**kface.
"Give a man fire and he's warm for a day, set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."
That's Mr Stone to you, f**kface.
Re: Does chess involve to much politics?
Well I've experienced alot of issues in the past with playing for more than one club should this make things a problem!? There is alot of competition in local leagues and I've witnessed with the big rival clubs if your a member of both it can often lead to alot of unwanted complications.
For example if there are clash of fixtures in your league and you might choose to play for one club and not the other then their my be questions asked about the persons loyality.
Matt.

For example if there are clash of fixtures in your league and you might choose to play for one club and not the other then their my be questions asked about the persons loyality.
Matt.
-
Alex Holowczak
- Posts: 9321
- Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
- Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
- Contact:
Re: Does chess involve to much politics?
Yesmatt_ward wrote:What's people's views on chess, does it involve too much politics?
- Gavin Strachan
- Posts: 676
- Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:06 am
- Contact:
Re: Does chess involve to much politics?
If you vote for me I will cut down on politics in chess.
http://www.brentwoodchessclub.org/
Brentwood Chess Club
Brentwood Chess Club
-
Jonathan Bryant
- Posts: 3452
- Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 3:54 pm
Re: Does chess involve to much politics?
Loyality indeed. Is this really a problem though?matt_ward wrote:For example if there are clash of fixtures in your league and you might choose to play for one club and not the other then their my be questions asked about the persons loyality.
A few years back I used to play for two clubs. My main club in the Surrey League/Croydon League and London Leagues and another club in the Thames Valley League.
A member of the second club once took exception to this and suggested that if I wanted to play in the Thames Valley for them I should play for them in other leagues too.
I suggested in return that he stop being a tw*t. That seemed to end the matter without need for any further debate.
The Abysmal Depths of Chess: https://theabysmaldepthsofchess.blogspot.com
-
teddyosbourn
- Posts: 17
- Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:44 am
Re: Does chess involve to much politics?
'Man is a political animal' - AristotleSebastian Stone wrote:I feel that the little politics that goes on in my club (that I'm aware of) is just about enough to confirm that the members are indeed humans.
Although, I'm not sure that Matt's simple disagreement should necessarily be defined as political - politics is concerned with power, not petty disputes between chess players at the local club.
The 'problem' sounds rather trivial...
Just adopt Jonathan's approach and there's no problem is there?
Re: Does chess involve to much politics?
But I think this would be slightly inappropriate. I personally can see no harm in playing for two club's it should be treated equally and play a fair amount of games for both clubs. One club you might get less games for than the other because of the standard that club has.
But using bad language can only make matters worse!
Matt.
But using bad language can only make matters worse!
Matt.
- Carl Hibbard
- Posts: 6135
- Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
- Location: Evesham
Re: Does chess involve to much politics?
Is there really any need for this sort of language or do I need to press the big red moderate button?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard
Carl Hibbard
-
LozCooper
Re: Does chess involve to much politics?
I think you need to press the big moderate button?Carl Hibbard wrote:Is there really any need for this sort of language or do I need to press the big red moderate button?
-
Mike Truran
- Posts: 2427
- Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:44 pm
- Contact:
Re: Does chess involve to much politics?
......or perhaps we could have a big let's not be so precious button to press. Last time I looked twit was a perfectly OK word that didn't need an asterisk.
-
Mike Truran
- Posts: 2427
- Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:44 pm
- Contact:
Re: Does chess involve to much politics?
......or maybe even a big that's cr*p spelling button (oops, I feel the big moderate button coming on) for people who write "to" when they mean "too".
-
Mike Truran
- Posts: 2427
- Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:44 pm
- Contact:
Re: Does chess involve to much politics?
......and while we're at it, why not an ellipsis button to censor the over-use of suspension points...... ......that would cut out quite a few posts from the north west of England......
- John Upham
- Posts: 8378
- Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
- Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
- Contact:
Re: Does chess involve to much politics?
I was under the impression that a tw*t was a pregnant goldfish but that could be an urban myth...!
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess