I'll stick my head above the parapit on this one also.
I was at the meeting Steve refers to. At the meeting it was not at all clear from the board that this was a resigning issue. Indeed I believe that Martin Regan has subsequently stated publicly on this forum and elsewhere that this was not why he and his colleagues resigned. I should state that I am the Chairman of Leicestershire Chess Association, and so am the counties ECF rep. I also play in the Coventry Chess League and am their ECF rep too. I voted in favour of pursuing the membership route. Let me also make it clear, Leicestershire CA are a Membership Organisation and as such operate an ECF membership scheme.
Let me deal with some of Edwards points :-
Edward Tandi wrote:
IMHO, the introduction of a membership fee just complicates things. The way chess is organised today, a chess player will join one or more clubs, pay the clubs membership and the clubs in turn pay the Leagues. The Leagues then pay the ECF grading fees. This is well understood..
I dont think that this is well understood. Players pay their subs, and they play games. The majority have no idea what game fee is, how much it is, or how it works. They just pay and play.
Edward Tandi wrote:Enter the ECF membership fee. Now, each member has to pay both ECF membership as well as the club membership. Does the club player have a choice of not paying for ECF membership? What happens if they don't pay? Do their results become void or are they merely ungraded? If ungraded, it becomes an easy way for someone to escape a bad season and is therefore bad for the grading system. Must players obtain membership before they play? If so, this will be an obstacle to recruiting new members, If not, how do we enforce it?..
Firstly, Edward assumes their would be a link between membership and grading. This may well be a logical assumption, but its far from certain that this would be the case. However, even assuming that this link is correct it is erroneous to suggest that not paying ECF membership would be an easy way to escape a bad season as you would either have been a member for that season (and your games graded) or you wouldnt (and your games would not be graded). You couldnt decide retrospectively.
Edward Tandi wrote:
The ECF fee will force clubs to reduce their membership fees, which are already quite high because of rent. Will the Leagues, who will no longer have to pay grading fees, pass on the reduced cost to the clubs? All of it? Most of the cost is for the venue, so the player->club->league->ECF payment chain still exists -the ECF membership fee is (for most players) just an additional bill to pay
There are two raise issues here : Fianance and operations. If I take the finance issue first ; I would expect any league (or congress) seeing a massive reduction in its costs (which abolition of game fee would be) to pass that saving on to its playing members. In Leicestershire, league subscriptions are set at the AGM by the clubs anyway so there is no prospect of the league trousering the dosh! In fact, since we have had our MO we have reduced the cost of entering a league team from £55 to £17.50, with the differential being purely the cost of game fee.
Dealing with operations, we administer our membership via the clubs. They tell us at the start of the season which of their players wish to be members. We then add the membership fees to their invoice for league fees. When we receive their cheque the players are ECF members, and issued membership numbers, and we send details and cash to the ECF. This is much simpler than game fee as its up front, and doesnt require calculating all the games which have game fee liability (and which ones dont).
How clubs administer this is up to the individual club. At my club, we simply include the cost of ECF membership in the annual subs. So now, instead of paying £25 for a years chess (out of which we paid game fee via increased league fees) the player pays us £25 for a years chess and a years membership of the ECF. The only difference the player sees is that he gets a membership card. Others charge a small premium (say £2-£3) being their calculation of the additional cost. Some do nothing, and very few players from such clubs join the scheme.
Edward Tandi wrote:
What about the future of clubs? If a player can pay their ECF fee and take part in rated games, why bother joining a club? This is true to some extent today, but now players can organise virtual teams, without the overhead of club venues. I think it reduces the value add of current chess clubs. Clubs rely on a critical mass of members to survive.
I dont understand this point. Any player can play congress chess now without the need to join a club. If a player wants to play league games he must join a club. I dont see how this would change if game fee were scrapped in favour of membership. Where would a "virtual team" play its home games?!
Edward Tandi wrote:Although I am now an ECF direct member (I wasn't for many years), I don't think the introduction of ECF membership for grading purposes is conducive to the introduction of players to competitive chess. Many people try chess at the club level and leave, but a few end up becoming regulars. I think the ECF fee is just one more obstacle for new players to climb.
If this fee were on top of game fee then I would agree. But because it is instead of game fee it's possible to simply replace (more or less) one with the other. Membership has three distinct advantages - Firstly, its much easier and simpler to operate than game fee. Secondly, players feel that they belong to the ECF, because they are members. At the moment, only a small minority of players are actually members of the ECF. Thirdly, more competitve chess can be played without additional cost. In Leicestershire we have re-started the County Championships, added a summer rapidplay league, and this season a new league cup competition - all of these events require no additional charge to the clubs becasue it costs us nothing to run them. The benefit of this is that more players in Leicestershire are playing more chess. When I looked at the stats of players who stopped playing chess, they tended to drift away playing fewer and fewer games until stopping completely. That trend at least has been stopped. And of course I hope that the more people play, the more they might improve!
The impression I got at the meeting was that there was a north / south split on this issue with the southerners being pro game fee. I think the logic of the pro game fee lobby was
i) Its simpler than membership - something that seemed totally illogical to me. Anyone who has had to make game fee estimates, payments on account, carry forward, brought forward etc will know what I mean! I think for most they are used to game fee and therefore are resistent to change. It is human nature.
ii) Its fairer than membership because the more you play the more you play. Its certainly true that you pay more if you play more under game fee but whether this fair or desirable is another matter. After all, you dont get more for your money. For instance, you dont get two grades instead of one, or twice as much satisfaction from seeing junior teams sent abroad. I of course call game fee the chess prevention tax, and for good reason. If we didnt have the membership scheme at LRCA that we now have we wouldnt have our summer rapidplay league, our league cups or our county championships. Game Fee had for years successfully prevented these events from running!
iii) How will we determine votes at Council?!! Yes, this was really put forward as a reason for keeping game fee. Dont think much more needs to be said on that one.