A likeness of Elijah Williams (07-x-1809 08-ix-1854)
- John Upham
- Posts: 8360
- Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
- Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
- Contact:
A likeness of Elijah Williams (07-x-1809 08-ix-1854)
An appeal to everyone who enjoys this sort of thing...
I have struggled to find a likeness of Elijah Williams (07-x-1809 08-ix-1854)
Can you help?
I have struggled to find a likeness of Elijah Williams (07-x-1809 08-ix-1854)
Can you help?
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess
-
Jon D'Souza-Eva
- Posts: 922
- Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:53 am
Re: A likeness of Elijah Williams (07-x-1809 08-ix-1854)
[deleted]
Last edited by Jon D'Souza-Eva on Sun Aug 16, 2026 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-
Jon D'Souza-Eva
- Posts: 922
- Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:53 am
Re: A likeness of Elijah Williams (07-x-1809 08-ix-1854)
Alternatively you could take a guess based on a photograph of one of Elijah Williams' grandsons, Geoffrey Baynton Williams:
https://www.easyliveauction.com/catalog ... -november/
https://www.easyliveauction.com/catalog ... -november/
- Matt Mackenzie
- Posts: 6378
- Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
- Location: Millom, Cumbria
Re: A likeness of Elijah Williams (07-x-1809 08-ix-1854)
I think that as with Alexander McDonnell, there is no reliable likeness of Williams in existence (or known to have survived at any rate)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)
- John Saunders
- Posts: 2164
- Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm
- Location: Kingston-upon-Thames
- Contact:
Re: A likeness of Elijah Williams (07-x-1809 08-ix-1854)
Is it really necessary to use AI to generate spurious images? Before we know it, this image will be all over the web as if it were actually the man himself, despite the disclaimer in the jpg name. Can I suggest it be deleted?Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote: ↑Sun Aug 16, 2026 2:27 pmI asked ChatGPT to: "draw a picture of an Englishman in 1850, described as burly form, light hair and eyes, and florid complexion" (see https://www.chesshistory.com/winter/winter180.html) and it came up with this:
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)
-
Jon D'Souza-Eva
- Posts: 922
- Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:53 am
Re: A likeness of Elijah Williams (07-x-1809 08-ix-1854)
Yes, good point. I've deleted it.John Saunders wrote: ↑Sun Aug 16, 2026 4:05 pmIs it really necessary to use AI to generate spurious images? Before we know it, this image will be all over the web as if it were actually the man himself, despite the disclaimer in the jpg name. Can I suggest it be deleted?
-
Neil Blackburn
- Posts: 142
- Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:47 pm
Re: A likeness of Elijah Williams (07-x-1809 08-ix-1854)
There certainly is no image of him that I could find - I searched the bna archives of the newspapers of the time without finding an image of him whilst putting a blog together.
- John Upham
- Posts: 8360
- Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
- Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
- Contact:
Re: A likeness of Elijah Williams (07-x-1809 08-ix-1854)
Thanks Neil.Neil Blackburn wrote: ↑Sun Aug 16, 2026 7:42 pmThere certainly is no image of him that I could find - I searched the bna archives of the newspapers of the time without finding an image of him whilst putting a blog together.
See
https://britishchessnews.com/2020/09/08 ... -williams/
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess
-
Neil Blackburn
- Posts: 142
- Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:47 pm
Re: A likeness of Elijah Williams (07-x-1809 08-ix-1854)
Thanks for the kind mention. As a side note the description of Williams as an apothecary may be wrong, and based on his being licenced to distribute medicine during the epidemic. Somewhere - I forgot to note the source - he is listed as a surgeon. That would make sense as Bristol was a centre of surgery and anatomy teaching, complete with bodysnatching, in the early 19th c.
-
Jon D'Souza-Eva
- Posts: 922
- Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:53 am
Re: A likeness of Elijah Williams (07-x-1809 08-ix-1854)
Elijah Williams' profession is given as a surgeon in various documents.
Pigot's Directory for Bristol from 1842
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/ ... d=24355365
That link will only work if you have an account with Ancestry.
A document of intended marriage (his first) in 1844:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 75&lang=en
That link will only work if you have a (free) account with Family Search.
Parish marriage record for his second marriage in 1850:
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/ ... 5098-00159
The image of the 1851 census is quite difficult to read, but I think it says "surgeon not practising"
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/ ... _1568-0432
Elijah Williams' page on Family Search:
https://www.familysearch.org/en/tree/pe ... s/GWRR-B8T
Pigot's Directory for Bristol from 1842
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/ ... d=24355365
That link will only work if you have an account with Ancestry.
A document of intended marriage (his first) in 1844:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 75&lang=en
That link will only work if you have a (free) account with Family Search.
Parish marriage record for his second marriage in 1850:
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/ ... 5098-00159
The image of the 1851 census is quite difficult to read, but I think it says "surgeon not practising"
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/ ... _1568-0432
Elijah Williams' page on Family Search:
https://www.familysearch.org/en/tree/pe ... s/GWRR-B8T