I am interested in a game score J Penrose against Willie Winter. BCM gives a Nimzo-Indian from Buxton, 1950 p 408. They also played at the British in 1951 at Swansea. The trouble is Purdy's 'Chess World' quotes an entirely different game, a Queen's Gambit, attributing it to the British similarly, same guys. They must have played a fair bit in that era so I am a bit stuck.
Who can help? Thanks as always.
James
Penrose-v-Winter
-
Jon D'Souza-Eva
- Posts: 922
- Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:53 am
Re: Penrose-v-Winter
chessgames.com has the Queen's Gambit game:
https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1793393
I wonder if there was a mistake in the BCM and they got the name of Penrose's opponent wrong? He won this Nimzo game against Broadbent in round 1:
https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=2011125
https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1793393
I wonder if there was a mistake in the BCM and they got the name of Penrose's opponent wrong? He won this Nimzo game against Broadbent in round 1:
https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=2011125
- John Saunders
- Posts: 2170
- Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm
- Location: Kingston-upon-Thames
- Contact:
Re: Penrose-v-Winter
(a) The Nimzo-Indian game on page 408 of BCM 1950 was Penrose vs Broadbent (not Winter). The Penrose-Winter game was on page 316.James Pratt wrote: ↑Mon May 11, 2026 1:03 pmI am interested in a game score J Penrose against Willie Winter. BCM gives a Nimzo-Indian from Buxton, 1950 p 408. They also played at the British in 1951 at Swansea. The trouble is Purdy's 'Chess World' quotes an entirely different game, a Queen's Gambit, attributing it to the British similarly, same guys. They must have played a fair bit in that era so I am a bit stuck.
Who can help? Thanks as always.
James
(b) Penrose did not play Winter at Swansea in 1951
(c) Tell us more about the game quoted by Purdy from Chess World. Better still, if you have the score, digitise it and put it here.
(d) Jon has posted a link to the 1950 Penrose v Winter game, which is the only game between J Penrose and W Winter which has made it to BritBase+ so far. Here it is with the sources quoted...
A reminder that BritBase+ games can now be looked up via the Chess Pub site... https://www.chesspublishing.com/databas ... d=explorer
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)
-
James Pratt
- Posts: 730
- Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:10 pm
Re: Penrose-v-Winter
The game Chess World quotes is the one above. Goldstein wrote the article which picks up pace at move 23, a discussion on Bad Bishops. Thanks again John and Jon.
James
James