Sadly I must report the passing of Robin Nettleton, who passed away 5 August, 2025.
I first met Robin when he brought his son Charlie along to the now-defunct Hayes Chess Club back some 15 years ago. Robin was not a highly-rated player but was always keen to play. But more than that were the skills he brought along with him as a person. He was always willing to step in at the last minute, always willing to support others (family or not) and always willing to do anything to benefit the club. Away from this he was a great person to have a beer and/or (but usually and) a chat with, combining a great sense of humour with a down-to-earth attitude.
Over time Hayes Chess Club changed (and closed). I moved on, and saw Robin less and less. With Charlie moving to Norway and starting his own family Robin ceased playing in the UK, although he did still attend events overseas - tournaments and chess holidays. I have already seen postings on Facebook from people reminiscing over holidays with him and other chess players in Majorca, to name just once place.
Since moving "oop norf" I hadn't seen Robin, although with COVID an ex-Hayesmen WhatsApp group was created and we got to catch up once again, as well as with other friends from the old Hayes Chess Club, Robin seamlessly fitting in in a WhatsApp group just as he had done in the old Hayes Chess Club.
Robin leaves behind his sons Charlie and Ronan, and his daughter Jade, as well as his Grandchildren. But, more than that, he leaves behind the memories of the good times people like myself had with a great man.
Robin Nettleton
-
Brendan O'Gorman
- Posts: 782
- Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:10 pm
Re: Robin Nettleton
Robin playing at the Southend Easter tournament in 2022.
- Lee Bullock
- Posts: 235
- Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:29 pm
Re: Robin Nettleton
Very sad to hear this news. I was good friends with Robin and Charlie for many years. We often met up in Majorca chess festival. And saw eachother many times at congresses for a few beers. I first met Robin and Charlie at the 2010 British I think it was. Charlie was playing in the u140 event I think and back then new grades were shown or used for pairings. And I just remember many people really upset Charlie’s new rating was much higher than the congress limit. Thet quickly changed that rule. Charlie was Ofcourse way too strong for it and went on to win easy. But I didn’t truly get to know them till sunningdale. And kept in touch quite regularly after that.
Last 5 years or so I had been in constant contact with Rob. Phoning him on a few occasions. But we always sent eachother jokes and naughty funny stuff. I always invited Rob/Charlie to my birthday meet ups but they never really fancied it.
I asked Rob about his cancer just recently and he said it had come back. But he was very positive he could have another ten years left. Just weeks later his messages stopped. And I was gonna phone or message him this weekend before just gone. Then Kev Winter told me the news in the British chat. Was shocked. Really sad and hope Charlie and family are all as ok as possible. If they read this I’m here if they need any help with anything.
Rob loved a beer and a chat and I will really miss his dry sense of humour and chats and banter we had. Here’s a nice pic from Majorca of all of us having a great time. Greg Breed. Richard leeper. Matt wilson. Paul Robson. Charlie. Charlie’s friend. Me and Spenny all there.
Last 5 years or so I had been in constant contact with Rob. Phoning him on a few occasions. But we always sent eachother jokes and naughty funny stuff. I always invited Rob/Charlie to my birthday meet ups but they never really fancied it.
I asked Rob about his cancer just recently and he said it had come back. But he was very positive he could have another ten years left. Just weeks later his messages stopped. And I was gonna phone or message him this weekend before just gone. Then Kev Winter told me the news in the British chat. Was shocked. Really sad and hope Charlie and family are all as ok as possible. If they read this I’m here if they need any help with anything.
Rob loved a beer and a chat and I will really miss his dry sense of humour and chats and banter we had. Here’s a nice pic from Majorca of all of us having a great time. Greg Breed. Richard leeper. Matt wilson. Paul Robson. Charlie. Charlie’s friend. Me and Spenny all there.
- Attachments
-
- IMG_2956.jpeg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 1443 times
2013/2014 and 16/17 18/19 U140 Grand Prix Winner!
2015. 2016. 2019. Chess character of the year
Its not a failure to lose. Its a failure when you dont try and win.
2015. 2016. 2019. Chess character of the year
Its not a failure to lose. Its a failure when you dont try and win.
-
Richard Thursby
- Posts: 296
- Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:25 am
- Location: origin + pathname + search + hash
Re: Robin Nettleton
One memory that sticks out for me is playing on the opposition team to Robin and/or Charlie two nights in a row, playing Drunken Knights in the London League and then Hayes in the Thames Valley League.
Didn't Hayes becomes Uxbridge!? They seemed to have most of the same people running them.
Didn't Hayes becomes Uxbridge!? They seemed to have most of the same people running them.