Sadly I must report the passing of Martin Pettinger last night. He played as a junior 30 years ago, retuning to play for Rolls Royce and later Chesterfield and Lincolnshire.
He was a strong player, working hard to regain his previous form. He was also a good captain and team member. I only wish I'd had the chance to get to know him better.
My condolences to his friends and family at this difficult time.
Martin Pettinger
-
Neil Graham
- Posts: 2177
- Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:36 pm
Re: Martin Pettinger
I am so sorry to hear this. Martin was an ever present for the Ashfield teams in the opening seasons of 4NCL on line and was a reserve in later seasons as well as standing in for 4NCL otb. I understand he was a previous Lincolnshire champion.
I have looked back in the obituary pages and it seems that so many respected players have passed away in the last few years
I have looked back in the obituary pages and it seems that so many respected players have passed away in the last few years
-
Neil Graham
- Posts: 2177
- Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:36 pm
Re: Martin Pettinger
Martin's funeral will take place on Friday 31st January at 3.10pm at:
Chesterfield & District Crematorium,
Chesterfield Road,
Chesterfield
S43 1AU
For those people that wish to send messages of condolence these can be sent to the following address: 17 Gratton Place, S41 7FF
Chesterfield & District Crematorium,
Chesterfield Road,
Chesterfield
S43 1AU
For those people that wish to send messages of condolence these can be sent to the following address: 17 Gratton Place, S41 7FF
-
Mike Alderson
- Posts: 47
- Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:01 am
Re: Martin Pettinger
Martin Howard has posted an obituary on the Chesterfield club website: http://chesterfieldchessclub.weebly.com/obituaries