
It's not the first time I've come across this claim, but is there any actual reason to think Alekhine ever owned a cow? If not, where did the story originate?

which is the sort of thing I wouldn't mind seeing the source for....there was something that neither the public nor Euwe knew: in the intervening years, Alekhine had bought a cow.
What this meant was that Alekhine was drinking fresh milk, straight from that cow, rather than his usual vodka, whiskey, or whatever.
Well, I for one find buying an actual cow is the simplest solution whenever I fancy a glass of milk. So I'm sure this anecdote is entirely true.JustinHorton wrote: ↑Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:00 am
It's not the first time I've come across this claim, but is there any actual reason to think Alekhine ever owned a cow? If not, where did the story originate?
So it's not even a quote?Ian Rogers wrote: ↑Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:55 amThere is no source for the cow claim in 'Chess World' July 1954, which is part of an overview of the previous quarter century.
It's not referenced in Extreme Chess (Thinkers Press 1999) which includes an 'edited reissue' of Purdy's The Return of Alekhine (1938). So I suppose it might have been in the original and Thinkers Press decided to edit it out from the re-issue - but that strikes me as unlikely.Ian Rogers wrote: ↑Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:26 amNo, just a statement.
There must be an earlier source, since Purdy was not in the habit of making things up (and published plenty of comments/interviews by the players after the 1937 match).
It would be nice to think that he did. There is this (presumably better supported) story of his appearing at the Polish border without a passport and grandly announcing his name, together with his cat called Chess. So all we need is to imagine that the cat died and he then took to touring Europe telling customs officers "come on, it's me, Alekhine, the ex-Champion of the World. And if you don't believe me, this is my cow. She is my "Milky Way" back to my title."Jonathan Bryant wrote: ↑Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:36 pm....
Worth mentioning, I think, that in the period in question Alekhine played in Nottingham (1936) and Hastings (1936/7). Is the suggestion that he pitched up with a cow as his second? And that nobody thought to mention it at the time?
This was said to have been written by "A.A.P. and Our Special Representative, London, March 25"."But Alekhine went into strict training, gave up smoking (he had been a chain smoker), lived largely on the milk of a pedigreed cow, and defeated Dr. Euwe in 1937."