Nice 74

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Geoff Chandler

Re: Nice 74

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed May 26, 2021 7:34 pm

O.G. Urcan wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 5:01 am
]Fifty Shades of Ray[/i] copy-pastes the BCM article without any correction.
Hi Olimpiù,

Ray copies and pastes a lot of stuff without correction. I've no idea why, it's depressing, needless and exasperating.

But I can relate to that.
Not caring about minor details like have I used this before, it was wrong then and so it will be wrong again.

I've not knowingly done this myself but when I write my next book. (Ray Keene's Best Games - 'The Master of Deception.')
I'll slip in few re-pastes for the extra publicity. There is a funny side to this, you just have shake your head and smile.
Paul Cooksey wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 6:52 am
I am curious what proportion of sales of Fifty Shades of Ray are to people buying it to look for mistakes!
Hi Paul

Possibly 50%. Book shops are selling it under the counter and in a brown paper bag.
(I'm going to play my part by buying with a bounced cheque.)
Gerard Killoran wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 1:00 pm
Anyone who tries to defend Ray Keene (in the face of all the evidence) does nothing for his reputation, they only damage their own credibility.
Probably me for that one.
There are a few things Ray cannot be defended on because he has been found guilty.
He paid a heavy price for the 'P' word. But he has paid for it.

But no need to keeping dragging him though the mud.
Crack a gag or two about it but that too will get tiresome after a while.

He persists in cut and pasting, so what? nobody is forcing you to read his stuff.
I like him, I can't defend him for past crimes but I will take a stance to say enough is enough.
(what I'll do in future is cut and paste my replies.!)

He is an easy target and he does fight back, Can we not just leave the poor man alone.
Chris Goodall wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 11:29 pm
Ray Keene's greatest contribution to chess in England has been to supply us with a stream of divisive "incidents" of no consequence whatsoever....etc
Hi Chris,

Too long to fully quote (I need the space for me!) But a very good post.
I'll give a link it: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11701&start=135#p266095

Hmmm.... after all that is appears that Ray is not involved in the spelling of Korchnoi after all.
I demand a recount - surely he has in the past spelt it two or three different ways.
What about Anand? has Ray ever stuck in an extra 'n' in 'Annand' I did that once but I think I got away with it.

ben.graff

Post by ben.graff » Wed May 26, 2021 7:42 pm

Interestingly, in Evil-Doer itself, other than the passage I quoted earlier (which is on page 87) Korchnoi is used throughout rather than Kortchnoi. So where does this take us?

1. Korchnoi was his birth name.
2. He used Kortchnoi in the second half of his life. This was on his passport and is now on his grave.
3. It does appear that this was a conscious choice on Kor(t)chnoi's part, that went beyond the differing alphabets and reflected the massive change in his circumstances.
4. The use of Korchnoi in the title and everywhere else in Evil-Doer, certainly shows the strength of convention around this spelling in English in recent years, but the referenced text does tell something of a different story.
5. Pure speculation, but I'm guessing even if the spelling meant something to Kor(t)chnoi, how he was spelt in translation perhaps wasn't of paramount interest to him?

Hard to imagine how any of this has caused confusion over the years!

Sosonko writes, "I knew them both, and although Kortchnoi and Korchnoi were very similar to each other, they were nevertheless not identical. Sometimes they engaged in conflict with one another, while sometimes they argued only to make peace once again and tackle life side by side. Two became one on 6 June 2016, even if the inscription Viktor Kortchnoi on his gravestone in a small Swiss town informs only chess players that here lies a person born with this name and yet born with a different one."
Ben Graff
Author of 'Checkmate! Great Champions And Epic Matches From A Timeless Game' 'The Greenbecker Gambit' and 'Find Another Place'

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed May 26, 2021 8:26 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 7:34 pm
O.G. Urcan wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 5:01 am
Fifty Shades of Ray copy-pastes the BCM article without any correction.
Hi Olimpiù,

Ray copies and pastes a lot of stuff without correction. I've no idea why
You do know why.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

O.G. Urcan

Post by O.G. Urcan » Thu May 27, 2021 7:04 am

Concerning Raymond Keene and plagiarism:

https://keenipedia.com/plagiarism-2

- O.G. Urcan

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Thu May 27, 2021 11:48 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 8:26 pm
You do know why.
I do?

If I did know then (when?) I do not know now, do you know what I knew then but not know now?

Hi Olimpiù,

I was re-reading, catching up, recently on Edward Winters site regarding 'Copying'

https://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/copying.html

Mr winter closes that piece with, 'Raymond Keene is his own worst enemy in a crowded field'
I agree, he brings all this on himself, and staying with the 'field' I'll make a footballer out of Ray. (Ray of the Rovers!)

The well documented plagiarism is the missed penalty effect in the Keene affair, famous footballers who are remembered
for some good games but it's always a crucial missed penalty that surfaces, Stuart Pearce, Gareth Southgate, Chris Waddle...

Ray will never lose the stigma of plagiarism, that was the instant sending off offence.
The rest of his misdemeanours, that I know of, are professional fouls and a few yellow cards.
He is no longer an international player, he has not been allowed back into the stadium.

Now playing non-league floodlight football, still getting the occasional yellow card for silly fouls but these days
they rarely make the major sports pages and the sending off (plagiarism) is old news, he served his ban.
It is only in the amateur fanzines like 'keenipedia' who still think they rate any mention.
What they will do when Ray hangs up his boots I've no idea.

Edit: (forget to add on.)
Some of us real football fans remember his games and greats goals (and some own goals.)
The missed penalty, we sigh, but have moved on.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Thu May 27, 2021 12:02 pm

O.G. Urcan wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 7:04 am
Concerning Raymond Keene and plagiarism:

https://keenipedia.com/plagiarism-2

- O.G. Urcan
He think of great Lobachevsky and he get idea, ha!

Honestly, if you've got a community of people that follow you around annotating your every word, you've won at life, whatever their opinion of you.
Tim Harding wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 5:42 pm
Moreover, those of us who learnt a little Russian at school (or elsewhere) know that there is no equivalent of the letter t in the cyrillic spelling of Viktor Lvovich's surname and so would tend to resist the "Kortchnoi" version if we weren't aware that this was his personal choice.

Against that, however, I have to admit that there is no letter T at the start of the cyrillic spelling of the great music composer Tchaikovsky's surname either.

(On the other hand, in M. I. Chigorin's lifetime his surname was variously spelled Tchigorin or Tchigorine or Tschigorin in west European and American sources, I think, but "Chigorin" is now accepted.[)]
We're talking about the letter Ч, no? There isn't necessarily an equivalent of C or H in the Cyrillic spelling either - the whole letter Ч corresponds to the whole sound /tʃ/, but the Czechs would spell that sound Č, the Turks Ç, the Italians sometimes plain C, etc. It's an artifact of the way English has evolved that we add the H, but not the T as the Germans and French do.

As for Dutch TJ and Catalan TX, who knows what they were thinking :D
John Townsend wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 2:49 pm
Chris Wardle says...
If that was intentional, well played, but I am legally Goodall, my passport says so.
Last edited by Chris Goodall on Thu May 27, 2021 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu May 27, 2021 12:06 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 11:48 am
JustinHorton wrote:
You do know why.
I do?

If I did know then (when?) I do not know now, do you know what I knew then but not know now?
Can I recommend that you write less and read more, you'd do yourself and everybody else a favour
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Thu May 27, 2021 12:16 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 12:06 pm
Geoff Chandler wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 11:48 am
JustinHorton wrote:
You do know why.
I do?

Can I recommend that you write less and read more, you'd do yourself and everybody else a favour
Speak for yourself, I cried when they deleted Chandler Cornered. When I moved to Edinburgh and dived straight into the chess scene, it was because I knew the characters already from Geoff's writing. Plus, I got a compliment on my tie!
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

John Townsend

Post by John Townsend » Thu May 27, 2021 12:21 pm

Sorry, Chris, "Wardle" was an unintentional slip. I've changed it now.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Thu May 27, 2021 1:00 pm

Hi Chris,

400 Corners was long enough. I got two awards for the Corner - why was beyond me. I think at I managed to yank
the chain of every Scot that ever pushed a pawn - I cried a wee bitty when the 2nd award was made, I did not expect it.

Getting close to 400 on RHP. But there I have access to the whole planet, nobody is safe.

Hi Justin,

Read what?

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu May 27, 2021 2:25 pm

At the top of the Chess Notes page yesterday, was a list of the (some two dozen) various spellings of Korchnoi.

EGW reads this forum, you know!
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

O.G. Urcan

Post by O.G. Urcan » Thu May 27, 2021 3:39 pm

O.G. Urcan

Post by O.G. Urcan » Fri May 28, 2021 4:13 pm

On 15 May, Gerard Killoran drew attention to the 1991 Sunday Times article about the Keene-Miles affair.

The subsequent letters from Raymond Keene and Tony Miles in the Sunday Times correspondence column can be read here.

See too this section of the same article by Edward Winter.

Tony Miles' original account of the affair was in Kingpin in 1989.

There was also extensive correspondence involving Raymond Keene, Tony Miles, David Anderton and Nick Pitt in CHESS in 1991.

O.G. Urcan

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri May 28, 2021 5:52 pm

O.G. Urcan wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 4:13 pm
Tony Miles' original account of the affair was in Kingpin in 1989.
Well worth another read. Also, I had forgotten about the Antarctic Chess Association.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri May 28, 2021 11:20 pm

"Well worth another read."

Well, yes. BCF seemed to get away with some pretty obvious cover-ups. I guess not enough people cared. I'm a bit puzzled that David Anderton was said to have resigned, as he was still active later.

Presumably Sunday Times weren't bothered about people plagiarising their publication either.