In the contentious "Ladies -v- Women" thread, I had made the statement above. Bernard Cafferty pointed out shortly afterwards (private email via a mutual friend) that I was wrong. I didn't post the correction at the time, as Carl had asked that rather contentious thread to "shut up". I'm sure sufficient time has elapsed that publishing this correction will cause no discord.Paul McKeown wrote:On the theme of pejorative epithets, Stalin is notoriously said to have referred to Botvinnik as "ЧуконетÑ", Botvinnik having been born in what was part of Finland until taken by the Soviets.
I reproduce Bernard's words (slightly abridged) below:
I would like to thank Bernard for taking the time to inform me of my mistake - he obviously has went to considerable lengths and trouble to check his facts, for which I am very grateful.Bernard Cafferty, by email dated 23 July 2009 wrote: ... Paul M. ... has got hold of the wrong end of the stick with regard to Stalin's use of the derogatory term for a Finn, 'chukhonets'.
It was not used about Botvinnik, but rather about the diplomat Podtserob, who related the incident to MMB. In fact, MMB never met Stalin. Had the latter used any term of him, it would probably be about the fact that he was Jewish. Podtserob is indeed an unusual name for a Russian, hence Stalin's curiosity about his background.
A quick check through MMB's autobiography "Achieving the Aim" has thrown up a couple of references to the diplomat Boris Podtserob, but not the piquant story about Stalin calling him by a derogatory name.
MMB had difficulties with the censor and his efforts to get "Achieving ..." published took some years. A later, supplemented version appeared in the largest volume of "Analytical and Critical Works" which came out in 1987. Will have to check that. Steve Giddins drew my attention to yet another version with a different title (how typical of Soviet machinations) which I do not have. I have found a section in a 2000 book "Portraits" - where Botvinnik put pen pictures of many personalities - in which the story about Podtserob appears, but there Stalin used the shortened form "Chukhna" instead of the usual term "Chukhonets". Podtserob said in answer to Stalin's query that he was a Belorus, at which Stalin waved his hand dismissively and said "Chukhna".
Anyhow, the whole point is that the term was not used of Botvinnik.
Best Regards,
Paul McKeown.