(FIDE) What are "ghost Players"?

The very latest International round up of English news.
Post Reply
Brian Towers
Posts: 1266
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:23 pm

(FIDE) What are "ghost Players"?

Post by Brian Towers » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:53 pm

The following Zambian players have either all appended "(ghost Player)" to their names or, perhaps more likely, FIDE is classifying them as ghost players within the FIDE rating system-
Pascal Kangwa,
Richard Kasiya,
Layson Mbewe

What exactly does this mean? What exactly do you have to do to achieve ghost Player status and where does it fall within the GM, IM, FM, CM, etc, hierarchy?

As a supplemental, why is there no "FIDE" category/topic at the same level as "International News"? Or is that a silly question in a forum which contains "ecf" in its name?
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 22665
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: (FIDE) What are "ghost Players"?

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:46 pm

Brian Towers wrote: What exactly does this mean?
I doubt anyone knows until FIDE tells us. They've probably been flagged as an alternative to deletion. Pure speculation of course, but it might be a case of detected ratings fraud, either that or a simple error.
Brian Towers wrote: As a supplemental, why is there no "FIDE" category/topic at the same level as "International News"?
I expect it's because no one ever made the case for creating one.
Brian Towers wrote: Or is that a silly question in a forum which contains "ecf" in its name?
[/quote]

The e stands for English, the c for chess and the f for forum.

Discussions on the ECF attitude to FIDE and why FIDE is evil under its current President are usually under "General", "ECF Matters" or "International News".

NickFaulks
Posts: 9292
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: (FIDE) What are "ghost Players"?

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:04 am

Brian Towers wrote:
What exactly does this mean?
I'm guessing that it is something thought up by Online Commission, but have asked.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Stewart Reuben
Posts: 4566
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:04 pm
Location: writer

Re: (FIDE) What are "ghost Players"?

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:21 am

I know what a 'virtual player' is in FIDE, but 'ghost player' has defeated me.

NickFaulks
Posts: 9292
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: (FIDE) What are "ghost Players"?

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:55 pm

The explanation turns out to be simple. This term was used in a tournament report to describe a filler, and when the players were registered it was not removed. It will be.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Brian Towers
Posts: 1266
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:23 pm

Re: (FIDE) What are "ghost Players"?

Post by Brian Towers » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:10 pm

Thanks, Nick.

I can remove my tinfoil hat now ;-)
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Post Reply