Incremental time controls
-
geoffgammon
- Posts: 40
- Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:01 pm
Incremental time controls
Can anyone tell me if any tournament chess is played in this country, or in Europe, using the time delay or the Bronstein system? I've only ever been aware or the Fischer system being used but there are obviously digital game timers available which use the other functions. Are they of any practical use within chess or are they aimed at other games?
He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is obviously as confused as I am!
- IM Jack Rudd
- Posts: 5175
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
- Location: Bideford
- Contact:
Re: Incremental time controls
Time delay is used in the USA, I think. I don't know about anywhere in Europe.geoffgammon wrote:Can anyone tell me if any tournament chess is played in this country, or in Europe, using the time delay or the Bronstein system? I've only ever been aware or the Fischer system being used but there are obviously digital game timers available which use the other functions. Are they of any practical use within chess or are they aimed at other games?
-
Paul Dargan
- Posts: 526
- Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 11:23 pm
Re: Incremental time controls
Bronstein also popular in the UAE - particularly Al Ain - it prevents people being able to build back large time banks, so the length of rounds isn;t so unpredictable.
Paul
Paul
-
Alex Holowczak
- Posts: 9320
- Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
- Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
- Contact:
Re: Incremental time controls
2013 British Blitz Championship used 5 mins + 3 secs/move with the Bronstein increment.geoffgammon wrote:Can anyone tell me if any tournament chess is played in this country, or in Europe, using the time delay or the Bronstein system?
The technical reason for this was that I wanted 5 mins + 3 secs/move, but it was a manual set with the Fischer increment, but an automatic set with the Bronstein increment.
That was about it; the only people who appeared confused were the people playing in my 20 mins + 10 secs/move Fischer increment tournament the next day.
-
Niall Doran
- Posts: 255
- Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:36 pm
Re: Incremental time controls
No Bronstein used in France, it's either a set amount of time for all the moves, or Fischer.
-
geoffgammon
- Posts: 40
- Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:01 pm
Re: Incremental time controls
Thanks gents.
He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is obviously as confused as I am!