Chess - The Mechanics of the Mind

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 10978
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Chess - The Mechanics of the Mind

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:15 am

I recently picked up a secondhand copy of Chess - The Mechanics of the Mind, a book on chess psychology and thinking published in 1987 and written by GM Helmut Pfleger and IM Gerd Treppner. Translated into English from the German and published in the UK by the Crowood Press in 1988.

I thought it was quite a good book, with some bits I'd not seen in other similar books. It ends with a fascinating look at the Kasparov-Karpov matches (as they stood at that time). Has anyone else here got or read a copy, and if so, do you have any thoughts on the book?

Richard James
Posts: 1333
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:34 pm
Location: Twickenham
Contact:

Re: Chess - The Mechanics of the Mind

Post by Richard James » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:26 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:I recently picked up a secondhand copy of Chess - The Mechanics of the Mind, a book on chess psychology and thinking published in 1987 and written by GM Helmut Pfleger and IM Gerd Treppner. Translated into English from the German and published in the UK by the Crowood Press in 1988.

I thought it was quite a good book, with some bits I'd not seen in other similar books. It ends with a fascinating look at the Kasparov-Karpov matches (as they stood at that time). Has anyone else here got or read a copy, and if so, do you have any thoughts on the book?
I think there's a copy somewhere in the Chess Palace but I haven't read it since 1988 and don't remember a lot about it.

Arshad Ali
Posts: 704
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: Chess - The Mechanics of the Mind

Post by Arshad Ali » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:08 pm

Got a copy. Okay read but nothing memorable.

Johnathan Rothwell
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Chess - The Mechanics of the Mind

Post by Johnathan Rothwell » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:01 pm

I have it, good read. I particularly liked the first section around pages 12-14 where they discuss how masters considered concrete forcing continuations. The one chapter I haven't read is the one on the Karpov v Kasparov matches! Is it worth reading?

Gordon Cadden
Posts: 490
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:57 pm

Re: Chess - The Mechanics of the Mind

Post by Gordon Cadden » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:45 pm

First published in Germany, by Falken-Verlag GmbH (1987). English translation by John Littlewood, for the Crowood Press, 1988. Many original ideas in this book, in a similar vein to Michael Stean's, "Simple Chess". The Crowood Press is not a main stream chess publisher, which would explain why this good chess book, is not widely known. Remember Helmut Pfleger playing at the Hastings Congress, 1965.


Ian Kingston
Posts: 1072
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:16 pm
Location: Sutton Coldfield
Contact:

Re: Chess - The Mechanics of the Mind

Post by Ian Kingston » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:05 pm

Gordon Cadden wrote:First published in Germany, by Falken-Verlag GmbH (1987). English translation by John Littlewood, for the Crowood Press, 1988. Many original ideas in this book, in a similar vein to Michael Stean's, "Simple Chess". The Crowood Press is not a main stream chess publisher, which would explain why this good chess book, is not widely known. Remember Helmut Pfleger playing at the Hastings Congress, 1965.
Crowood published a few chess books in the 1980s and wanted to expand the list. I applied for the job, was offered it, and turned it down. Apart from the fact that I would have had to take a fairly hefty pay cut, the whole setup seemed a little creaky.

Post Reply