Geoff Chandler wrote:
Your game was good enough for me to see you are no fool at the board
so perhaps that wee bit of blasé has crept in thinking you are beyond such blunders.
None of us are.
Thanks. You make a good point here. It is of course what makes it all the more frustrating that I was in control of the game, and had played well up to that point.
I'll be honest, yes I have being surprised at how well I have done since joining my local OTB chess club.
I had already mentally started celebrating my win, I was that convinced I had a mate in two on! I only noticed 20 Kxg1 after letting go of the queen, after doing another check of the board, but by then it was too late.
My chess target this season was: "to stop making stupid moves, after rushing into moves," and it wasn't to win or lose a certain amount of games, because I thought that if I played as well as I could, I would win some games anyway. I managed to get through the whole season up until now, keeping up that target.