Does chess involve to much politics?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
matt_ward
Posts: 418
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:20 pm

Does chess involve to much politics?

Post by matt_ward » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:46 pm

What's people's views on chess, does it involve too much politics?

My personal view and experience I would say yes.

matt.
Last edited by matt_ward on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rob Thompson
Posts: 757
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:03 pm
Location: Behind you

Re: Does chess involve to much politics?

Post by Rob Thompson » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:53 pm

too*
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

User avatar
Sebastian Stone
Posts: 153
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:21 pm

Re: Does chess involve to much politics?

Post by Sebastian Stone » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:55 pm

It might be helpful if you defined "politics" and how much you consider to be too much.

I feel that the little politics that goes on in my club (that I'm aware of) is just about enough to confirm that the members are indeed humans.
AKA Scott Stone

"Give a man fire and he's warm for a day, set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."

That's Mr Stone to you, f**kface.

matt_ward
Posts: 418
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:20 pm

Re: Does chess involve to much politics?

Post by matt_ward » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:39 pm

Well I've experienced alot of issues in the past with playing for more than one club should this make things a problem!? There is alot of competition in local leagues and I've witnessed with the big rival clubs if your a member of both it can often lead to alot of unwanted complications.

For example if there are clash of fixtures in your league and you might choose to play for one club and not the other then their my be questions asked about the persons loyality.

Matt. :) :) :D :D

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 9321
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: Does chess involve to much politics?

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:27 am

matt_ward wrote:What's people's views on chess, does it involve too much politics?
Yes

User avatar
Gavin Strachan
Posts: 676
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:06 am
Contact:

Re: Does chess involve to much politics?

Post by Gavin Strachan » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:39 am

If you vote for me I will cut down on politics in chess.

Jonathan Bryant
Posts: 3452
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: Does chess involve to much politics?

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:45 am

matt_ward wrote:For example if there are clash of fixtures in your league and you might choose to play for one club and not the other then their my be questions asked about the persons loyality.
Loyality indeed. Is this really a problem though?

A few years back I used to play for two clubs. My main club in the Surrey League/Croydon League and London Leagues and another club in the Thames Valley League.

A member of the second club once took exception to this and suggested that if I wanted to play in the Thames Valley for them I should play for them in other leagues too.

I suggested in return that he stop being a tw*t. That seemed to end the matter without need for any further debate.

teddyosbourn
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Does chess involve to much politics?

Post by teddyosbourn » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:02 am

Sebastian Stone wrote:I feel that the little politics that goes on in my club (that I'm aware of) is just about enough to confirm that the members are indeed humans.
'Man is a political animal' - Aristotle

Although, I'm not sure that Matt's simple disagreement should necessarily be defined as political - politics is concerned with power, not petty disputes between chess players at the local club.

The 'problem' sounds rather trivial...

Just adopt Jonathan's approach and there's no problem is there?

matt_ward
Posts: 418
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:20 pm

Re: Does chess involve to much politics?

Post by matt_ward » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:34 pm

But I think this would be slightly inappropriate. I personally can see no harm in playing for two club's it should be treated equally and play a fair amount of games for both clubs. One club you might get less games for than the other because of the standard that club has.

But using bad language can only make matters worse!

Matt.

User avatar
Carl Hibbard
Posts: 6135
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Evesham

Re: Does chess involve to much politics?

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:11 pm

Is there really any need for this sort of language or do I need to press the big red moderate button?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

LozCooper

Re: Does chess involve to much politics?

Post by LozCooper » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:14 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:Is there really any need for this sort of language or do I need to press the big red moderate button?
I think you need to press the big moderate button? :(

Mike Truran
Posts: 2427
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Does chess involve to much politics?

Post by Mike Truran » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:40 pm

......or perhaps we could have a big let's not be so precious button to press. Last time I looked twit was a perfectly OK word that didn't need an asterisk.

Mike Truran
Posts: 2427
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Does chess involve to much politics?

Post by Mike Truran » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:47 pm

......or maybe even a big that's cr*p spelling button (oops, I feel the big moderate button coming on) for people who write "to" when they mean "too".

Mike Truran
Posts: 2427
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Does chess involve to much politics?

Post by Mike Truran » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:53 pm

......and while we're at it, why not an ellipsis button to censor the over-use of suspension points...... ......that would cut out quite a few posts from the north west of England......

User avatar
John Upham
Posts: 8377
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: Does chess involve to much politics?

Post by John Upham » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:08 am

I was under the impression that a tw*t was a pregnant goldfish but that could be an urban myth...!
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Post Reply