Indexing
-
soheil_hooshdaran
- Posts: 3152
- Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm
Indexing
Hi.
Why is it that only the 3rd occurrence of "Alekhine" is indexed in the text( the book can be searchedhere)?
Why is it that only the 3rd occurrence of "Alekhine" is indexed in the text( the book can be searchedhere)?
- IM Jack Rudd
- Posts: 5178
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
- Location: Bideford
- Contact:
Re: Indexing
What is the context of the use of the word in each case, and what type of index is it?
-
soheil_hooshdaran
- Posts: 3152
- Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm
Re: Indexing
That is why I provided the link, Jack.
The index is general, not "index of players/games/subjects", but here, Alekhine is written under "world champions".
The index is general, not "index of players/games/subjects", but here, Alekhine is written under "world champions".
-
soheil_hooshdaran
- Posts: 3152
- Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm
Re: Indexing
What does the index entry pages
mean?125-128, 128
-
Barry Sandercock
- Posts: 1356
- Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:52 am
Re: Indexing
I would think the second 128 is a misprint and should possibly be 129.
-
Barry Sandercock
- Posts: 1356
- Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:52 am
Re: Indexing
Why not ? I don't really understand what the original question was.
-
Barry Sandercock
- Posts: 1356
- Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:52 am
Re: Indexing
I've just looked at the index and I think the 128 was just a misprint.
- IM Jack Rudd
- Posts: 5178
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
- Location: Bideford
- Contact:
Re: Indexing
As written, it would mean the subject in question was referred to as the subject of an extended piece, lasting from pages 125 to 128, and was also referred to separately on page 128 again. I have no idea whether this is actually consistent with the text.