Tie-break advice

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Post Reply
Paul Buswell
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:56 pm

Tie-break advice

Post by Paul Buswell » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:08 am

Advice, opinion, comments invited....

I control a recently re-established 4-board team KO. Teams are of maximum grade average 150, with players <100 being deemed = 100.

Altering the fundamental structure of the event is not on the agenda, but any thoughts on how the tie break should run?

Normally one looks at board count, but it seems to me that if Team A plays as say 200/200/100/100 and Team B as say 150/150/150/150 then Team A has an inbuilt advantage on likely board coumt, and also if we go straight to bottom board(s) elimination rule.

I realise those comments could apply to any 'average grade' KO, but it's far more obvious in a 4-board event.

I suppose other possibilities would be:
Lowest total of grades wins
Black on odds wins
Rapid play immediate replay
Standard play replay on a new date

But all of those just seem to replicate the original problem in one way or another, although total grades would be less likely to match I suppose.

Ideas?

Thank you

PB

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 22654
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Tie-break advice

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:15 am

Paul Buswell wrote: But all of those just seem to replicate the original problem in one way or another, although total grades would be less likely to match I suppose.
Lowest graded aggregate wins with the other tiebreak applying only if total grades are exactly equal. Arguably that's more appropriate if there's a handicap as well. The controller would have to assign grades to ungraded players anyway in order to establish their eligibility. Alternatively the rules might restrict the competition to players with published grades.

Angus French
Posts: 2199
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 1:37 am
Contact:

Re: Tie-break advice

Post by Angus French » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:16 am

How about board count with elimination of boards from the top?

edit: Originally I wrote "bottom" but I meant "top".
Last edited by Angus French on Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Derek Pugh
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:22 pm

Re: Tie-break advice

Post by Derek Pugh » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:17 am

Might lowest average grade be better than lowest total grade to cater for the situation where there is a default?

Sean Hewitt
Posts: 2193
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Tie-break advice

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:46 pm

fewest defaults, then lowest total grade.

David Gilbert
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:03 am

Re: Tie-break advice

Post by David Gilbert » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:48 pm

Just toss a coin!

Paul Buswell
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:56 pm

Re: Tie-break advice

Post by Paul Buswell » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:11 pm

Thank you for comments received, I will mull over.

PB

Post Reply