Are there any Russian speakers on this forum?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 10563
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Are there any Russian speakers on this forum?

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:11 am

If so, would anybody be able to translate the titles (both the big red one and the little one above it) here? (I'm assuming they are Russian, but I suppose they could as easily be Ukranian, given the presence of Kharkiv in the URL).
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

John Philpott

Re: Are there any Russian speakers on this forum?

Post by John Philpott » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:56 am

Justin

I cannot claim to be a Russian speaker. But an online translation engine came up with:

New Shahmatorija Simeon Gubnitskogo: Chess islands: Commonwealth of the worlds:

CHESS IN THE WORLD OF PAINTING

User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 10563
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Re: Are there any Russian speakers on this forum?

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:29 am

Ah, the second bit looks just the job, ta. But the first bit still needs a little attention! And I suppose I still don't know whether it's actually Russian or Ukranian.

(It's a source for the current Streatham and Brixton Chess in Art series, which finishes this current Saturday, save for an appendix the following Saturday in which I shall provide a list of resources by way of bibliography. Obviously it will be helpful if I can actually give them a correct title!)
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

John Philpott

Re: Are there any Russian speakers on this forum?

Post by John Philpott » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:19 pm

Justin

If you surf back above the webpage you quoted to http://www.sport.kharkiv.com/sg_chess/ you come to a page that is partly in English (after a fashion!). The first words in the heading you wanted translated would appear to correspond to "Semyon Goubntitskij's new chesstory", and the later text suggests that the reference to "Chess Islands" was indeed intended.

User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 10563
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Re: Are there any Russian speakers on this forum?

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:36 pm

Ah, OK, thanks. Presumably that's the chap himself with the 'tache.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

Kevin Paine
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Are there any Russian speakers on this forum?

Post by Kevin Paine » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:21 pm

It is in Russian :

First bit says:

New Chessery of Semyon Gubnitskiy : Chess islands: a fellowship of worlds

Second bit:

Chess in the world of painting


Шахматория is a made-up word, as is my translation chessery. It means a place where chess takes place, as in orangery (a place to grow oranges!).

Hope it helps a little.
Kevin

User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 10563
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Re: Are there any Russian speakers on this forum?

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:00 pm

Chessery, yes, I think that's very good. Thanks ever so much.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

Post Reply