T Ellerten-Rice

Historical knowledge and information regarding our great game.
Post Reply
User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 10568
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

T Ellerten-Rice

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:35 am

At the front of my copy of Chess Treasury of The Air (Penguin, 1966) it says of one of the contributors, not a strong player:

T Ellerten-Rice is one pseudonym of a poet and radio-writer in his late forties.

Who was he?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

Richard James
Posts: 1333
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:34 pm
Location: Twickenham
Contact:

Re: T Ellerten-Rice

Post by Richard James » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:48 am

JustinHorton wrote:At the front of my copy of Chess Treasury of The Air (Penguin, 1966) it says of one of the contributors, not a strong player:

T Ellerten-Rice is one pseudonym of a poet and radio-writer in his late forties.

Who was he?
Terence Tiller

It's an anagram.

User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 10568
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Re: T Ellerten-Rice

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:53 am

Ta. I should probably have got that, but I never was any good at spotting anagrams. Spent too much of my youth on chess instead of crosswords.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 10568
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Re: T Ellerten-Rice

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:54 am

I didn't spot It's Only Me, for instance...
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

Post Reply