Year Old

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Carl Hibbard

Year Old

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:38 am

The ECF forum has only just passed one year in operation so its time for thoughts/feedback etc.

What is being done right and more importantly what is being done wrong - or at least could be done a little better?

Happy Christmas
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Greg Breed

Re: Year Old

Post by Greg Breed » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:25 pm

I'm happy with it, good job Carl - thanks for your hard work.
Happy anniversary...

[Edit] and Happy Xmas and New Year all...
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:54 am

I don't think there's anything wrong with the forum as such. It's just... quiet.

I'd like to see more integration with the ECF web site, perhaps duplicating front-page stories as posts on the forum and linking to those posts so that people can discuss them easily. That might encourage more people to register.

In turn, interesting or provocative posts could be featured in Chess Moves, helping to promote the forum.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:54 am

I have suggested more ECF involvement from higher up the pecking order but to be honest it is very hard work!
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Nigel Wright

Post by Nigel Wright » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:48 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:I have suggested more ECF involvement from higher up the pecking order but to be honest it is very hard work!
Some sort of lynching might be in order here...! :twisted:
To Drink or not to Drink, that is the question.

I Drink therefore I am.

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:05 pm

Perhaps the lack of comments is a reflection of the current status of the game.

I'm sure he's a nice person but if you want laugh read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirsan_Ilyumzhinov about the person who is president of FIDE. The bit about mobile phones and UFO adbucting Kirsan is quite fascinating, but is this really good propaganda for the game?? Sorry for the slight sidetrack.

Very few titled players actually use the forum regularly. I think FM Jack Rudd has added comments on various issues and IM Andrew Martin for promoting the online chess club. Apologies to any I have missed.

Like chess in general, the forum needs more advertising and promoting. But then if the money, time and resources are limited. I think the people/person running the forum are trying their best and put a lot of effort in - well done!
Maybe you should be paid full time to restructure and modernise the website as it seems to have several disperate systems (such as grading, the forum, general ECF stuff, Junior). Perhaps using more dynamic HTML/Flash. The website has certainly expanded a lot (for the better) so does need a rethink.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:21 pm

I think the ECF council should be made to post here at least once a month, just to keep us updated on any developments on the chess scene....unless they already do.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:32 pm

Gavin Strachan wrote:Perhaps the lack of comments is a reflection of the current status of the game.

I'm sure he's a nice person but if you want laugh read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirsan_Ilyumzhinov about the person who is president of FIDE. The bit about mobile phones and UFO adbucting Kirsan is quite fascinating, but is this really good propaganda for the game?? Sorry for the slight sidetrack.

Very few titled players actually use the forum regularly. I think FM Jack Rudd has added comments on various issues and IM Andrew Martin for promoting the online chess club. Apologies to any I have missed.

Like chess in general, the forum needs more advertising and promoting. But then if the money, time and resources are limited. I think the people/person running the forum are trying their best and put a lot of effort in - well done!
Maybe you should be paid full time to restructure and modernise the website as it seems to have several disperate systems (such as grading, the forum, general ECF stuff, Junior). Perhaps using more dynamic HTML/Flash. The website has certainly expanded a lot (for the better) so does need a rethink.
I do like the person (not people...) getting paid full time idea :D
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Nigel Wright

Post by Nigel Wright » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:28 am

Just an example of a potential cost - the college I work for is in the middle of making its' website more professional, and we received one quote of £18,000!!! Just to "pretty" the bloomin' thing up! And that's just for a one off job, not to maintain and update the site when required! It's a nice thought having paid webmasters though, as then it would provide extra motivation for them to do a decent job! (Just kidding Carl, you do a great job!) :D

I Drink therefore I am.

Alan Ruffle

Post by Alan Ruffle » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:15 am

The Forum is splendid, I agree in particular with Gavin Strachan and Joey Page; I suggest much of our poor communications could be overcome by showing ‘CHESSMOVES’ on a twelve-month role over in the forum.

Alan Ruffle

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:33 am

I have NOT seen a Chess Moves since (cough...) I am not "actually" a member - what does it look like?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Nigel Wright

Post by Nigel Wright » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:32 am

Just a suggestion, but maybe it's not wise being on the ECF Board for anybody if they've already got a full time job which conflicts with the smooth running of their department? Perhaps this should be looked at by somebody...

I Drink therefore I am.

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:53 am

Carl Hibbard wrote:I have NOT seen a Chess Moves since (cough...) I am not "actually" a member - what does it look like?
I hope your a member now! :wink:

The forum is a great one BTW
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:11 am

Struth, you have been busy...
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Charles W. Wood

Post by Charles W. Wood » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:15 am

Carl Hibbard wrote:Struth, you have been busy...
A forum is not a forum without posts. :wink:
Charles W. Wood
Captain of Legion