975 of Tony Miles's games up to the end of 1979 have been posted on BritBase...
https://www.saund.org.uk/britbase/pgn/m ... iewer.html
The new material consists mostly of games he played in weekenders which have been digitised and contributed by IM Geoff Lawton. My role has been to try and establish dates, round numbers and other details.
There remain various gaps and, no doubt, errors. Any help in filling in details and proof-reading much appreciated.
In the fullness of time I intend to extend the collection into subsequent decades. If anyone has access to Tony Miles games that have not yet been digitised, please do contribute them, either via this thread or by email to me.
Tony Miles: Games Collection on BritBase
- John Saunders
- Posts: 2170
- Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm
- Location: Kingston-upon-Thames
- Contact:
Tony Miles: Games Collection on BritBase
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)
-
Colin Patterson
- Posts: 355
- Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:27 am
Re: Tony Miles: Games Collection on BritBase
Hi John, One small point about the Nice Junior game of ?.4.71 ... The PGN titles it as EU-Ch U20, which may be misleading. As far as I know, this was not an official championship event - the last Niemeyer event was 1971 and this tranformed into the official European U20 Championship event in 1972, the constant venue being Groningen.
Lawton (in his book tournament record) and Di Felice both use "Junior International, Nice", which is perhaps a more correct attribution, unless anyone knows any different.
Lawton (in his book tournament record) and Di Felice both use "Junior International, Nice", which is perhaps a more correct attribution, unless anyone knows any different.
-
Leonard Barden
- Posts: 2044
- Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:21 am
Re: Tony Miles: Games Collection on BritBase
The above is absolutely correct. The Nice tournament was won by Miles ahead of the then reigning World Junior Champion Werner Hug, a result which helped significantly later that year when I persuaded Jim Slater to co-sponsor the 1972 World Junior in Teesside, which was the only way that England, as host nation, could field both Miles, who won silver, and Michael Stean, who won bronze.Colin Patterson wrote: ↑Sun Feb 15, 2026 7:54 pmHi John, One small point about the Nice Junior game of ?.4.71 ... The PGN titles it as EU-Ch U20, which may be misleading. As far as I know, this was not an official championship event - the last Niemeyer event was 1971 and this tranformed into the official European U20 Championship event in 1972, the constant venue being Groningen.
Lawton (in his book tournament record) and Di Felice both use "Junior International, Nice", which is perhaps a more correct attribution, unless anyone knows any different.
- John Saunders
- Posts: 2170
- Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:10 pm
- Location: Kingston-upon-Thames
- Contact:
Re: Tony Miles: Games Collection on BritBase
Hi Colin,Colin Patterson wrote: ↑Sun Feb 15, 2026 7:54 pmHi John, One small point about the Nice Junior game of ?.4.71 ... The PGN titles it as EU-Ch U20, which may be misleading. As far as I know, this was not an official championship event - the last Niemeyer event was 1971 and this tranformed into the official European U20 Championship event in 1972, the constant venue being Groningen.
Lawton (in his book tournament record) and Di Felice both use "Junior International, Nice", which is perhaps a more correct attribution, unless anyone knows any different.
Yes, good point. I had actually picked this up when compiling the career summary below the game viewer, which is worded correctly (European Under-20 International), but forgot to apply it to the PGN file. The game comes from ChessBase's Mega Database 2022 - so the fault is actually theirs! I've amended the PGN file.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)