I wasn't expecting this...

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
John Upham
Posts: 8376
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

I wasn't expecting this...

Post by John Upham » Sat Dec 06, 2025 1:38 pm

Via Rewind TV I was watching Season 1, Episode 4 of Jack Hargreaves' Old Country and was surprised to hear him discussing our game.

He mentioned a former (Russian) World Champion who tried to introduce the Herald piece and he also mentioned Capablanca who he thought was Mexican. :D

Anyone know if the Herald story had any truth to it?

I remember JH fondly from the HOW Thames Television series with Bunty James, Jon Miller and Fred DInenage.
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

User avatar
Matt Mackenzie
Posts: 6382
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
Location: Millom, Cumbria

Re: I wasn't expecting this...

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Dec 06, 2025 3:18 pm

I thought it was Capa who proposed adding two extra pieces?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Jon D'Souza-Eva
Posts: 922
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:53 am

Re: I wasn't expecting this...

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Sat Dec 06, 2025 3:48 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote: ↑
Sat Dec 06, 2025 3:18 pm
I thought it was Capa who proposed adding two extra pieces?
Pietro Carrera was probably the first to propose adding two extra pieces to each side. I don't know what a Herald piece is - googling suggests that it a strange one with the power to prevent adjacent pieces (both friend and foe) from moving, but surely the piece John is talking about is something different to this?

User avatar
John Upham
Posts: 8376
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: I wasn't expecting this...

Post by John Upham » Sat Dec 06, 2025 6:47 pm

JH suggested that the Herald piece replaced the bishop.

I read a reference to Hort talking about a Herald piece but not sure how reliable that is in these days of unreliable AI generated search results.
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Post Reply