Geoff Taylor

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Post Reply
Simon Rogers
Posts: 2447
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:30 pm

Geoff Taylor

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:13 pm

I am sorry to inform you that Geoff Taylor passed away suddenly on Wednesday 15th March.
Geoff was a B team regular of the Downend & Fishponds Chess Club in Bristol.
Geoff was probably best known in North Gloucestershire but was also very well known in Gloucestershire circles and was a regular for the county team for decades.
RIP

User avatar
Joey Stewart
Posts: 2173
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:35 pm
Location: All Of Them
Contact:

Re: Geoff Taylor

Post by Joey Stewart » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:17 pm

Geoff had been ill for many years so his passing was not entirely unexpected for those who knew him but still sad as he was quite a charcter and well known in the local League. His funeral was reportedly well attended by members of the community.
Any opinions expressed will not be held to account.

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 22665
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: Geoff Taylor

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:46 pm

Joey Stewart wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:17 pm
well known in the local League.
Wider known as well. He played in several or many Opens in the West of England and qualified for the British Championship a couple of times I think.

User avatar
Joey Stewart
Posts: 2173
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:35 pm
Location: All Of Them
Contact:

Re: Geoff Taylor

Post by Joey Stewart » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:41 am

Roger de Coverly wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:46 pm
Joey Stewart wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:17 pm
well known in the local League.
Wider known as well. He played in several or many Opens in the West of England and qualified for the British Championship a couple of times I think.
Yes that's true, he was a very prolific tournament player until his illness and for a while also ran a 4ncl team called Gloucester gambits. I would not be surprised if people from the forum played him, I know I did many times over the years.
Any opinions expressed will not be held to account.

Phil Neatherway
Posts: 685
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:10 pm
Location: Abingdon

Re: Geoff Taylor

Post by Phil Neatherway » Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:05 am

I well remember Geoff Taylor from my time playing in the North Glos League. A great guy.

Post Reply