Eight pawns against none
- JustinHorton
- Posts: 10566
- Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
- Location: Somewhere you're not
Eight pawns against none
Just something that popped into my head for no particular reason - are there recorded games where one player has been down to no pawns while the other has a full complement? And who would be the strongest players involved in such a game?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."
-
Peter Shaw
- Posts: 223
- Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:22 pm
- Location: Wakefield
-
Ian Thompson
- Posts: 4280
- Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:31 pm
- Location: Awbridge, Hampshire
-
Richard James
- Posts: 1333
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:34 pm
- Location: Twickenham
- Contact:
Re: Eight pawns against none
If you search for games with only pawns you get those two. If you allow pieces as well you get a lot more, but mostly low level junior games.
This is the most recent game, and also the game featuring the strongest players (2598 v 2312)
This is the most recent game, and also the game featuring the strongest players (2598 v 2312)
- Matt Mackenzie
- Posts: 6385
- Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
- Location: Millom, Cumbria
Re: Eight pawns against none
Are there any where the player with eight pawns fails to win?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)
-
Richard James
- Posts: 1333
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:34 pm
- Location: Twickenham
- Contact:
Re: Eight pawns against none
Matt Mackenzie wrote: ↑Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:05 pmAre there any where the player with eight pawns fails to win?
-
David Sedgwick
- Posts: 5252
- Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm
- Location: Croydon
- Contact:
Re: Eight pawns against none
In 1967 I had a game in which I was seven pawns up in the final position.
Ever since then I have wanted to have a game in which I was eight pawns up. It hasn't yet happened for me.
I wasn't sure whether it had ever happened for anyone. I am indebted to Ian and Richard for showing that it has. Ian's second example occurred at an event at which I was one of the arbiters.
Ever since then I have wanted to have a game in which I was eight pawns up. It hasn't yet happened for me.
I wasn't sure whether it had ever happened for anyone. I am indebted to Ian and Richard for showing that it has. Ian's second example occurred at an event at which I was one of the arbiters.
-
Kevin Thurlow
- Posts: 6661
- Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm
Re: Eight pawns against none
Am I the only one hoping that Adamer-Kress will become the Muzychuk-Muzychuk draw in future?
I assume Matto was too lazy to go around the board collecting extra knights!
I assume Matto was too lazy to go around the board collecting extra knights!
- Matt Mackenzie
- Posts: 6385
- Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
- Location: Millom, Cumbria
Re: Eight pawns against none
I mean, that last move - why????Richard James wrote: ↑Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:13 pmMatt Mackenzie wrote: ↑Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:05 pmAre there any where the player with eight pawns fails to win?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)
-
Nick Burrows
- Posts: 1951
- Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:15 pm
Re: Eight pawns against none
Maybe a pre-arranged draw
- JustinHorton
- Posts: 10566
- Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
- Location: Somewhere you're not
Re: Eight pawns against none
"Not being a terribly good player" is also a potential area for exploration here
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."
- Matt Mackenzie
- Posts: 6385
- Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
- Location: Millom, Cumbria
Re: Eight pawns against none
I think said conclusion is indeed a contender for the coveted WMOTB award?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)
- JustinHorton
- Posts: 10566
- Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
- Location: Somewhere you're not
Re: Eight pawns against none
Oh good spot. (Maybe there should be a thread for that subject, thinking about it.)
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."
-
David Williams
- Posts: 357
- Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:37 pm
Re: Eight pawns against none
I once drew a (reasonably sensible) game in which I had a bishop for seven pawns. Opponent sacrificed a bishop for two pawns, won another two, then went pawn-grabbing instead of developing, enabling me to exchange material till I had two rooks and a bishop and the run of the board, with his two rooks immobilised by all those pawns. I may even have been winning by the end.
-
Hugh Murphy
- Posts: 20
- Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:23 pm
Re: Eight pawns against none
I do remember the Spassky-Short game London 1982 where Spassky had 8 pawns and Short 4 pawns at the adjournment. I watched the post-mortem where someone asked why Boris didn't play move and his response was "But then I would lose once of my beautiful pawns".
The game is worth looking at
https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1123913
The game is worth looking at
https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1123913