Role of the Manager of the British Championships

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Roger de Coverly

Re: Role of the Manager of the British Championships

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:10 pm

Mike Gunn wrote: I did notice a lack of either of these things from the Championship just concluded and thought it rather unusual.
There were a few "visit Torquay" brochures on the table of Congress leaflets, but I agree no presentation. The Riviera centre and Torquay are well enough known to most regulars so as not to need it. I did notice the absence of the usual survey, it would have been an opportunity for players to express opinions about the 2014 event, which may be problematic because of the clash with Tromso. There would also be the chance to confirm or deny suggestions that plans existed either to reduce the event length to nine days or to reschedule the Championship as a nine rounder. Should I assume therefore that the venue and format of the 2014 event will be determined by the Home Director and the CEO, without input from the current Congress Manager or regular participants?

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:11 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
My "skill" is being reasonable when other people are angry.
I would not like to see you angry... :) Do you turn green and explode? :)

I do agree with Carol on a couple of points. This is an entertaining thread. I do not think David should have been banned and it was a cheap shot at him to talk of his grade. Heaven knows what will happen to Paul when my grade gets published eventually. He will have to have me banned immediately for being a complete dunce at chess.
Paul Cooksey wrote: Martyn and Krishna have both said things I disagree with in the last couple of days...
Brace yourself Martyn, his self-imposed ban only lasts a few more hours... :)
Paul Cooksey wrote:I have a right to my opinion, even if people disagree with it strongly.
Yes... and yes... :D
Paul Cooksey wrote:Again, being arrogant....
Yes... :D

On a serious note, Paul, it is way too quiet already without you....

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:56 pm

Just diverting via Tromsø, is that event going to be held at a time when there'll be very little darkness or none at all?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:04 pm

JustinHorton wrote:Just diverting via Tromsø, is that event going to be held at a time when there'll be very little darkness or none at all?
It's planned for the first two weeks of August (1st to 14th) according to http://tromso2014.no/ which gives a scheduling headache for the British.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:23 pm

The current state of play is that there will be no change in format of the British Championship until after the 100th.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:29 pm

Justin >Just diverting via Tromsø, is that event going to be held at a time when there'll be very little darkness or none at all?<

Indeed there will be very little darkness in 2014 in Norway at that time. I advised the people bidding to make a strong point about that as it will be a very new experience for many of the contestants.
It was noticeable, but no surprise, that North Shields the daylight hours were longer than in London.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:31 pm

Mike Gunn wrote:The current state of play is that there will be no change in format of the British Championship until after the 100th.
That doesn't actually say anything. The 100th is next year in Torquay. It's the 101st in 2014 that needs thinking about, not least because of the clash with Tromso.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:39 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:Indeed there will be very little darkness in 2014 in Norway at that time. I advised the people bidding to make a strong point about that
The Tromsø people or the people bidding against them?

(Having been there during the period of midnight sun, I can tell you it's not easy to sleep.)
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:49 pm

I hardly spoke to the Bulgarians about thir bid for th Olympiad in 2014. I thought the midnight sun was a strong tourist point for Tromso.

I did suggest to Lara that a meeting be held about Torquay and how to capitalise on the 100th. I have no doubt some interesting and valuable ideas would have been expressed. But presumably time ran out.

2014 I would guess is unlikely now to be decided until after the 2012 AGM. Of course the Board will consult the Congress Manager and is hardly likely to go contrary to the officer's opinion.
Since I was working many years in advance, sometimes I offered more than one possibility and was guided by the Board.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:59 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:I thought the midnight sun was a strong tourist point for Tromso.
It might be, but as peope are going as players rather than tourists it seems to me rather the opposite.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:10 pm

A very high percentage of the people who go are there partly for tourism. Certainly Makro, the Deputy President, thinks so.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:25 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Stewart Reuben wrote:I thought the midnight sun was a strong tourist point for Tromso.
It might be, but as peope are going as players rather than tourists it seems to me rather the opposite.
I suppose it depends who you play for. A team like Jersey is more likely to care about tourism than a team like Russia.

Andrew Farthing

Post by Andrew Farthing » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:37 pm

I hadn't intended to post again on this subject, but the frequent references to the red herring of who was "on site" at the British on Friday have drawn me in.

Adam Raoof, who is the director responsible for the British and to whom the Manager reports, was contactable by e-mail and phone.

As for me, sadly, I no longer have a life since the ECF came along and was contactable by phone all day. I was logged onto my PC for most of the day and continuously from about 2 p.m.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:21 pm

Andrew Farthing wrote:I hadn't intended to post again on this subject, but the frequent references to the red herring of who was "on site" at the British on Friday have drawn me in.

Adam Raoof, who is the director responsible for the British and to whom the Manager reports, was contactable by e-mail and phone.

As for me, sadly, I no longer have a life since the ECF came along and was contactable by phone all day. I was logged onto my PC for most of the day and continuously from about 2 p.m.
Thank you for this which answers an important point. I'm sure you appreciate that I'm trying to defend Lara against an accusation of poor judgement with regard to the Plymouth offer and not criticising any member of the board as such. If I'm reading matters correctly a Plymouth representative turned up unannounced and, in the absence of a director to refer him to, Lara had to deal with the situation as best she could.

Put more simply, had you or Adam Raoof been on The Parks at that exact moment (which was obviously not impossible) Lara would presumably have made the introductions and let you handle it from there.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:42 pm

Andrew Farthing >sadly, I no longer have a life since the ECF came along<

I have never understood how people with full-time careers could also manage one of the larger posts of responsibility of the ECF. David Anderton and David Jarrett at least were their own bosses. On the other hand, people like Neil Graham, Lara Barnes, Adam Raoof, Gareth Caller are employees. Perhaps they are on secondment from Marvel Comics? (I'm a bit unclear about Phil Ehr. Lecturing at King's London though is not the same as a 9-5 job.)