Unless other people have other ideas?
Olympic Opening Ceremony
-
Paul McKeown
- Posts: 3828
- Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:01 pm
- Location: Hayes (Middx)
Olympic Opening Ceremony
Not as awful as I feared, but for the most part pretty ghastly. Blairite Cool Brittania Retro Naff.
Unless other people have other ideas?
Unless other people have other ideas?
-
Paul Cooksey
Re: Olympic Opening Ceremony
I quite liked the Mr Bean bit. That's terrible isn't it? 
-
Andrew Camp
- Posts: 508
- Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 11:18 am
- Location: Colwyn Bay
Re: Olympic Opening Ceremony
Horrific viewing. Left-wing propaganda throughout.
Chairman of North Wales Junior Chess Association
[email protected]
[email protected]
-
Paul McKeown
- Posts: 3828
- Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:01 pm
- Location: Hayes (Middx)
Re: Olympic Opening Ceremony
"Left wing propaganda"? Don't know about that, but "Horrific viewing"? Certainly. And not just viewing, either. Who were that man and woman with peculiar voices doing the introductions? Reminded me of nothing less than "Hi-Di-Hi".
-
Richard Bates
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:27 pm
Re: Olympic Opening Ceremony
If people choose to define their opinion of it by their perception of a political message, that's up to them. I thought it was brilliant - as a technical achievement, a spectacle, and for being a bit different to what we normally get from big opening ceremonies. Above all i thought it was fun. Perhaps having a few drinks whilst watching it helped, but i doubt it.
-
Paul McKeown
- Posts: 3828
- Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:01 pm
- Location: Hayes (Middx)
Re: Olympic Opening Ceremony
Well, the bits I liked were Kenneth Branagh as Isambard Kingdom Brunel and James Bond whisking the Queen off to the stadium. Would have liked to have seen her actually paragliding into the stadium, but you can't have everything.
-
Simon Brown
- Posts: 845
- Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:38 pm
- Location: Quarndon, Derbyshire, if not in Costa Calida, Spain
Re: Olympic Opening Ceremony
I was expecting the worst as I normally hate this sort of thing. But I thought it was extraordinary and it made me quite proud. Left wing propaganda must have been very subtle.....
-
Paul McKeown
- Posts: 3828
- Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:01 pm
- Location: Hayes (Middx)
Re: Olympic Opening Ceremony
I thought having Doreen Lawrence carrying the Olympic flag was very positive. The point being that fewer than one per cent of people watching around the world will have ever heard of her, but if they choose to find out they will take away the message that the British people value justice, however long it takes and however hard fought.
-
Paul McKeown
- Posts: 3828
- Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:01 pm
- Location: Hayes (Middx)
Re: Olympic Opening Ceremony
But I found the overall effect was: cheese. Everyone has different taste, though.
-
Paul McKeown
- Posts: 3828
- Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:01 pm
- Location: Hayes (Middx)
Re: Olympic Opening Ceremony
A very brief scan of foreign newspapers suggests the ceremony was extremely well received overseas.
"spetterend" - de Volkskrant
"Britische Coolness, Understatement und Humor - Das hat Charme und ist sympathisch." - comment BTL Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung
"Quel spectacle !" - Le Figaro
"With its hilariously quirky Olympic opening ceremony, a wild jumble of the celebratory and the fanciful; the conventional and the eccentric; and the frankly off-the-wall, Britain presented itself to the world Friday night as something it has often struggled to express even to itself: a nation secure in its own post-empire identity, whatever that actually is." - New York Times
So it was a good show and I'm just an old grouch!
"spetterend" - de Volkskrant
"Britische Coolness, Understatement und Humor - Das hat Charme und ist sympathisch." - comment BTL Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung
"Quel spectacle !" - Le Figaro
"With its hilariously quirky Olympic opening ceremony, a wild jumble of the celebratory and the fanciful; the conventional and the eccentric; and the frankly off-the-wall, Britain presented itself to the world Friday night as something it has often struggled to express even to itself: a nation secure in its own post-empire identity, whatever that actually is." - New York Times
So it was a good show and I'm just an old grouch!
-
Paul Cooksey
Re: Olympic Opening Ceremony
Me too I suppose, I think Simon and Richard are more with the public spirit.Paul McKeown wrote:So it was a good show and I'm just an old grouch!
I always watch the Opening Ceremony, because you have to suffer through it to watch the sport, which I love. I suspect this is a conversation I should be having with a psychologist.
Anyway, actual sport. Yay. Ian Thorpe is good isn't he? I already feel like an expert
- John Upham
- Posts: 8384
- Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
- Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
- Contact:
Re: Olympic Opening Ceremony
In Danny Boyle's place what would have been your theme?Paul McKeown wrote:But I found the overall effect was: cheese. Everyone has different taste, though.
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess
- Matt Mackenzie
- Posts: 6387
- Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
- Location: Millom, Cumbria
Re: Olympic Opening Ceremony
Do tell us more, AidanAndrew Camp wrote:Horrific viewing. Left-wing propaganda throughout.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)
-
Paul Cooksey
Re: Olympic Opening Ceremony
Simple. Big picture of Olympic rings and Chariots of Fire theme, one athlete per country with a flag. Seb Coe to read out "Welcome to London, let's get on with it" from a cue card. Flaming Boris Johnson to be tossed into some sort of receptacle to get the flame going. 10 minutes max, and then on with some sport. In fact, if the sport was football, maybe we could have done the opening ceremony at half time?John Upham wrote:In Danny Boyle's place what would have been your theme?Paul McKeown wrote:But I found the overall effect was: cheese. Everyone has different taste, though.