2 Bishops of the same colour
- Peter D Williams
- Posts: 839
- Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:15 pm
- Location: Hampshire
2 Bishops of the same colour
Has any forumite ever promoted to get 2 Bishops of the same colour on the board in an otb rated game?
when you are successful many losers bark at you.
- Matt Mackenzie
- Posts: 6382
- Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
- Location: Millom, Cumbria
Re: 2 Bishops of the same colour
Has it ever happened in a actual non-composed game EVER, might be a better question??Peter D Williams wrote:Has any forumite ever promoted to get 2 Bishops of the same colour on the board in an otb rated game?
I am not aware of any examples, but stand to be corrected.......
EDIT: I of course mean genuine examples, not moments of silliness like that given below
Last edited by Matt Mackenzie on Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)
-
LawrenceCooper
- Posts: 8755
- Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am
Re: 2 Bishops of the same colour
Hardly a game to be proud of but in 1991 I played the following as white against Keith Arkell in a weekend tournament:Peter D Williams wrote:Has any forumite ever promoted to get 2 Bishops of the same colour on the board in an otb rated game?
1 e4 c6 2 d4 d5 3 ed cd 4 c4 Nf6 5 Nc3 g6 6 Qb3 Bg7 7 cd 0-0 8 g3 e6 9 de Nc6 10 ef+ Kh8 11 Nge2 Qe7 12 Qd1 Rd8 13 f8=B Bf8 14 Be3 Ng4 15 Qd2 Nce5 16 Ng1 Bh6 17 Qe2 Ne3 18 de Bg4 19 f3 Bf5 20 Kf2 Qc5 21 Qb5 Nd1+ 0-1
- Christopher Kreuzer
- Posts: 10971
- Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
- Location: London
Re: 2 Bishops of the same colour
For those who can't play 21 moves blindfold.
You seem to have neglected kingside development... It's a nice game to play through. Are there reasonable examples reachable from game-like positions where you would need to promote to bishop rather than another piece?LawrenceCooper wrote:
Hardly a game to be proud of but in 1991 I played the following as white against Keith Arkell in a weekend tournament:
0-1
-
LawrenceCooper
- Posts: 8755
- Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am
Re: 2 Bishops of the same colour
Possibly a position where promoting to a queen or rook would be stalemate.Christopher Kreuzer wrote:For those who can't play 21 moves blindfold.
You seem to have neglected kingside development... It's a nice game to play through. Are there reasonable examples reachable from game-like positions where you would need to promote to bishop rather than another piece?
-
PeterTurland
- Posts: 541
- Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:03 pm
- Location: Leicester
- Contact:
Re: 2 Bishops of the same colour
Never found what you were looking for, but I did find this which I thought was rather interesting.Peter D Williams wrote:Has any forumite ever promoted to get 2 Bishops of the same colour on the board in an otb rated game?
I forgot whos game it was, but I do remember them both being over 2500 ELO
-
Geoff Chandler
- Posts: 3821
- Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:36 pm
- Location: Under Cover
- Contact:
Re: 2 Bishops of the same colour
Tony Miles once underpromoted to a Bishop just to see if how many chess publications got it right.
Then adding that the publication in which he was annotating the game got it right. (!)
Miles - Sosonko Tilburgh 1977
White played 23.b7xa8=B Rxa8
I found this humerous ending from a young 1104 player.
Kuehnel (1104) - Prymak (774) GER-ch U10 2004
White played 38.e8-B Mate.
Then adding that the publication in which he was annotating the game got it right. (!)
Miles - Sosonko Tilburgh 1977
White played 23.b7xa8=B Rxa8
I found this humerous ending from a young 1104 player.
Kuehnel (1104) - Prymak (774) GER-ch U10 2004
White played 38.e8-B Mate.
-
Alex Holowczak
- Posts: 9321
- Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
- Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
- Contact:
Re: 2 Bishops of the same colour
Rxa8, really? Not Bxa8?Geoff Chandler wrote:Tony Miles once underpromoted to a Bishop just to see if how many chess publications got it right.
Then adding that the publication in which he was annotating the game got it right. (!)
Miles - Sosonko Tilburgh 1977
White played 23.b7xa8=B Rxa8
Maybe the publication paid so much attention to the underpromotion that its producer wasn't concentrating on which piece he was recapturing with?
-
Ian Kingston
- Posts: 1072
- Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:16 pm
- Location: Sutton Coldfield
- Contact:
Re: 2 Bishops of the same colour
Mega Database has the game (annotated by Ftacnik). 23...Bxa8 was played.Alex Holowczak wrote:Rxa8, really? Not Bxa8?Geoff Chandler wrote:Tony Miles once underpromoted to a Bishop just to see if how many chess publications got it right.
Then adding that the publication in which he was annotating the game got it right. (!)
Miles - Sosonko Tilburgh 1977
White played 23.b7xa8=B Rxa8
Maybe the publication paid so much attention to the underpromotion that its producer wasn't concentrating on which piece he was recapturing with?
Ian Kingston
http://www.iankingston.com
http://www.iankingston.com
-
Ian Stephens
- Posts: 117
- Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:59 am
- Location: Merseyside
Re: 2 Bishops of the same colour
Hi Geoff, It would be nice to believe that this game was a Blitz finish and in the confusion Master Kuehnel looking desperately for the white Queen which had been knocked to floor, reached for the Bishop!Geoff Chandler wrote:I found this humerous ending from a young 1104 player.
Kuehnel (1104) - Prymak (774) GER-ch U10 2004
White played 38.e8-B Mate.
Ex-President of Liverpool Chess Club, now mere Tournament Controller and Chief bottle washer.
-
Ian Stephens
- Posts: 117
- Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:59 am
- Location: Merseyside
Re: 2 Bishops of the same colour
Not I Peter, I hope I never have to either, as stalemates would be lurking presumably. Many moons ago I once under promoted to a Knight giving check and winning, when a Q or R promotion would have produced stalemate! my opponent then told me I couldnt do that, but hey I had read the rules.Peter D Williams wrote:Has any forumite ever promoted to get 2 Bishops of the same colour on the board in an otb rated game?
Ex-President of Liverpool Chess Club, now mere Tournament Controller and Chief bottle washer.
-
Paul McKeown
- Posts: 3828
- Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:01 pm
- Location: Hayes (Middx)
Re: 2 Bishops of the same colour
See http://timkr.home.xs4all.nl/chess2/minor.htm. It does happen for genuine, chess-related reasons, but very rarely. John Littlewood was on the receiving end once and lost a textbook endgame in which the bishop promotion was the only winning choice.Matt Mackenzie wrote:Has it ever happened in a actual non-composed game EVER, might be a better question??Peter D Williams wrote:Has any forumite ever promoted to get 2 Bishops of the same colour on the board in an otb rated game?
I am not aware of any examples, but stand to be corrected.......
EDIT: I of course mean genuine examples, not moments of silliness like that given below![]()
- Matt Mackenzie
- Posts: 6382
- Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
- Location: Millom, Cumbria
Re: 2 Bishops of the same colour
Yes, but none of those feature two Bishops of the same colour ON THE SAME COLOURED SQUARES......
I am aware of a handful of endgame studies in which promoting to a "same colour" bishop is the only way to win, but am still waiting for a "real" game!
I am aware of a handful of endgame studies in which promoting to a "same colour" bishop is the only way to win, but am still waiting for a "real" game!
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)
-
Geoff Chandler
- Posts: 3821
- Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:36 pm
- Location: Under Cover
- Contact:
Re: 2 Bishops of the same colour
23...Rxa8.
I posted the fen then added the note. (der....)
I'm always getting R's and B's mixed up.
Once in this sub-position v Elaine Rutherford in an allegro game.
I calculated a queenside sac attack that worked with my f1 Rook going to a1+.
Back on thread.
Hi Ian.
I can see that wee German lad taking a Bishop if there was a Queen
on the board. But he chose the Bishop when we must assume it was
standing with the other captured pieces next to a Queen.
Perhaps the Black player had the White Queen hidden in his pocket.
Staying with this theme (the kids hiding pieces.)
Kazaruian - Bastos European Gilrs U-10 Ch. 2009
Black to play.
White was stting on the two Black Knights.
Black played 1...g1=Q Stalemate.
Taking a Rook or another Bishop is also drawn. 1...g1=N wins
(though don't ask me to demonstrate it.)
I can find no OTB game where a player has had to take a Bishop to avoid stalemate.
Found loads of examples where a player has done it just for a laugh.
Also numerous examples where a player took a Rook as taking a Queen would Stalemate.
Gustav - Em Lasker New York Simul 1892
White played 1.c8=R as 1.c8=Q is Stalemate. Black resigned.
White could have played 1.c8=B as he has the correct Bishop for the a-pawn.
I posted the fen then added the note. (der....)
I'm always getting R's and B's mixed up.
Once in this sub-position v Elaine Rutherford in an allegro game.
I calculated a queenside sac attack that worked with my f1 Rook going to a1+.
Back on thread.
Hi Ian.
I can see that wee German lad taking a Bishop if there was a Queen
on the board. But he chose the Bishop when we must assume it was
standing with the other captured pieces next to a Queen.
Perhaps the Black player had the White Queen hidden in his pocket.
Staying with this theme (the kids hiding pieces.)
Kazaruian - Bastos European Gilrs U-10 Ch. 2009
Black to play.
White was stting on the two Black Knights.
Black played 1...g1=Q Stalemate.
Taking a Rook or another Bishop is also drawn. 1...g1=N wins
(though don't ask me to demonstrate it.)
I can find no OTB game where a player has had to take a Bishop to avoid stalemate.
Found loads of examples where a player has done it just for a laugh.
Also numerous examples where a player took a Rook as taking a Queen would Stalemate.
Gustav - Em Lasker New York Simul 1892
White played 1.c8=R as 1.c8=Q is Stalemate. Black resigned.
White could have played 1.c8=B as he has the correct Bishop for the a-pawn.
-
Alex Holowczak
- Posts: 9321
- Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
- Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
- Contact:
Re: 2 Bishops of the same colour
If I ever happen to input your game, and you're playing a Lithuanian, remind me to delegate that task to someone else!Geoff Chandler wrote:I'm always getting R's and B's mixed up.