Fifty-move clarification

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 10565
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Fifty-move clarification

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:39 am

Just to be sure, since it might have come up in a game I played at the weekend.

The rules on this are, aren't they, essentially the same as those for a threefold repetition? What I mean is that it is up to players to claim, by writing down the move and in advance and informing the arbiter. If they do not do so, and the game later ends with a positive result, there is no comeback at all for the defeated player: nobody can say "hey, we've just checked the scoresheets, you went fifty-seven moves without a capture or a pawn move, it should have been a draw". Is this correct?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

Sean Hewitt

Re: Fifty-move clarification

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:44 am

JustinHorton wrote:Just to be sure, since it might have come up in a game I played at the weekend.

The rules on this are, aren't they, essentially the same as those for a threefold repetition? What I mean is that it is up to players to claim, by writing down the move and in advance and informing the arbiter. If they do not do so, and the game later ends with a positive result, there is no comeback at all for the defeated player: nobody can say "hey, we've just checked the scoresheets, you went fifty-seven moves without a capture or a pawn move, it should have been a draw". Is this correct?
Correct. Even if you found had found an illegal move after the game had ended, it's too late.

User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 10565
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Re: Fifty-move clarification

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:33 pm

Thank you.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

User avatar
Nigel Wright
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:49 pm
Location: Derbyshire, England
Contact:

Re: Fifty-move clarification

Post by Nigel Wright » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:48 am

how often do these issues ever arise though? i've only ever once been anywhere near close to a 50 move finish, and that was cos my opponent was about 90 yo and hadn't play a K + R v. K ending in over a decade and couldn't remember how to do it! :p
To Drink or not to Drink, that is the question.

I Drink therefore I am.

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Post Reply