Eating fish can improve your grading
-
Malcolm Peacock
- Posts: 68
- Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:47 pm
Eating fish can improve your grading
A couple of years ago I made a conscious decision to eat more fish rather than meat, having heard about the benefits of fish oil for the brain. This year at the age of 48, I achieved my highest ever chess rating, 5 points higher than my previous best at age 23.
Has anyone else noticed any impact of diet changes on their chess results?
Has anyone else noticed any impact of diet changes on their chess results?
-
Roger de Coverly
- Posts: 22663
- Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm
Re: Eating fish can improve your grading
Let's not forget that a couple of years ago, the ECF gave most players lots of free grading points. Mind you the free gift for players in the 170s was only about 6 to 8. As a rough benchmark, they took away 20% of your grade and then added back 40.Malcolm Peacock wrote:. This year at the age of 48, I achieved my highest ever chess rating, 5 points higher than my previous best at age 23.
- Carl Hibbard
- Posts: 6135
- Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
- Location: Evesham
Re: Eating fish can improve your grading
I find access to the underlying database more beneficial..
Cheers
Carl Hibbard
Carl Hibbard
- Gavin Strachan
- Posts: 676
- Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:06 am
- Contact:
Re: Eating fish can improve your grading
No. Though I do find the more studying I do the better I play and when I venture into the unknown things can get a bit dicey. If I drink like a fish it can have an adverse affect on the chess.Malcolm Peacock wrote:A couple of years ago I made a conscious decision to eat more fish rather than meat, having heard about the benefits of fish oil for the brain. This year at the age of 48, I achieved my highest ever chess rating, 5 points higher than my previous best at age 23.
Has anyone else noticed any impact of diet changes on their chess results?
http://www.brentwoodchessclub.org/
Brentwood Chess Club
Brentwood Chess Club
-
Malcolm Peacock
- Posts: 68
- Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:47 pm
Re: Eating fish can improve your grading
I prefer to forget that!Roger de Coverly wrote: Let's not forget that a couple of years ago, the ECF gave most players lots of free grading points. .
- John Upham
- Posts: 8382
- Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
- Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
- Contact:
Re: Eating fish can improve your grading
Did Billy the Fish try his safe pair of hands / fins at chess?
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess
-
Geoff Chandler
- Posts: 3822
- Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:36 pm
- Location: Under Cover
- Contact:
Re: Eating fish can improve your grading
This is a new one.
So instead of going to the doctor to check our cholesterol level
we now look at the grading list to see if we are eating correctly.
Do the A & E departments in hospitals have an up to date
grading lists to see who is and who is not worth saving?
It's simple:
If you really believe eating fish helps improve your chess,
then eating fish will help you improve your chess.
So instead of going to the doctor to check our cholesterol level
we now look at the grading list to see if we are eating correctly.
Do the A & E departments in hospitals have an up to date
grading lists to see who is and who is not worth saving?
It's simple:
If you really believe eating fish helps improve your chess,
then eating fish will help you improve your chess.
-
Jon D'Souza-Eva
Re: Eating fish can improve your grading
He does not overestimate, he does not underestimate. He is... a fish!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPcLmaJ0p9A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPcLmaJ0p9A
-
David Pardoe
- Posts: 1225
- Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:29 pm
- Location: NORTH WEST
Re: Eating fish can improve your grading
Load of old Cods wollop if you ask me.....
Lets have no more of this Tripe.......

PS I can tell you that I had a Chicken Tikka Massala at Wetherspoons last night....it did nothing for my performance today in the 4NCL Northern League.....
However, breakfast at Barcelo was `Majestic`...and tea + scones and cream at Antie Betty`s is a treat not to be missed...How many cafe`s actually have queues outside them in February...fortunately my wife queued while I was playing chess..!!! I just walked past the line of customers stood outside in the rain/snow & went and sat down....good timing or what...

Lets have no more of this Tripe.......
PS I can tell you that I had a Chicken Tikka Massala at Wetherspoons last night....it did nothing for my performance today in the 4NCL Northern League.....
However, breakfast at Barcelo was `Majestic`...and tea + scones and cream at Antie Betty`s is a treat not to be missed...How many cafe`s actually have queues outside them in February...fortunately my wife queued while I was playing chess..!!! I just walked past the line of customers stood outside in the rain/snow & went and sat down....good timing or what...
Last edited by David Pardoe on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
BRING BACK THE BCF
- Gavin Strachan
- Posts: 676
- Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:06 am
- Contact:
Re: Eating fish can improve your grading
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCwLirQS2-o
this is what if felt like in the simul v short for most people. slap him a few times until unleashes the big fish which is devistating....
this is what if felt like in the simul v short for most people. slap him a few times until unleashes the big fish which is devistating....
http://www.brentwoodchessclub.org/
Brentwood Chess Club
Brentwood Chess Club
-
Geoff Chandler
- Posts: 3822
- Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:36 pm
- Location: Under Cover
- Contact:
Re: Eating fish can improve your grading
Surely you mean devi 'SKATE' ing.
-
Phil Neatherway
- Posts: 685
- Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:10 pm
- Location: Abingdon
Re: Eating fish can improve your grading
Please put that in whiting.
-
Kevin Thurlow
- Posts: 6661
- Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm
Re: Eating fish can improve your grading
I am not sure this forum is the correct plaice for awful puns, although awful puns are an Achilles eel of mine.
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey
-
Phil Neatherway
- Posts: 685
- Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:10 pm
- Location: Abingdon
Re: Eating fish can improve your grading
eh? speak up! I'm a bit hard of herring!
-
Alan Burke
Re: Eating fish can improve your grading
I suppose it can help if you're involved in a Fishop and Prawn end game !