Karpov playing chess with Martians

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 10975
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Karpov playing chess with Martians

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:47 pm

I found a picture of Karpov playing chess with Martians:

http://visualrian.com/images/item/661343

Actually, that site (Russian news agency) has a lot of chess photos:

http://visualrian.com/images?text=chess&section=photo

Here is one of a chess computer from 1976:

http://visualrian.com/images/item/31481

Kasparov visiting a children's hospital in 1988:

http://visualrian.com/images/item/40861

Capablanca and Alekhine (anyone know who the other two are?):

http://visualrian.com/images/item/3110

Same players 11 years later:

http://visualrian.com/images/item/36496

Lots more there for anyone interested in that sort of thing.

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Re: Karpov playing chess with Martians

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:36 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Capablanca and Alekhine (anyone know who the other two are?):

http://visualrian.com/images/item/3110
Looks like Grigory Levenfish on the right (he didn't play in the tournament, but I believe he was involved in the organisation of it.

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 10975
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: Karpov playing chess with Martians

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:56 am

Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Capablanca and Alekhine (anyone know who the other two are?):

http://visualrian.com/images/item/3110
Looks like Grigory Levenfish on the right (he didn't play in the tournament, but I believe he was involved in the organisation of it.
Thanks. Does anyone else agree with that identification?

I've limited my original search to pictures up to 1960 (after that, the numbers start to climb), and there are 44 pictures that might be of interest to those with an interest in chess history, so I'll put those in a separate thread.

teddyosbourn
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Karpov playing chess with Martians

Post by teddyosbourn » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:27 am

In the second Capablanca picture I think that's Lasker not Alekhine. Nice pics 8)

Michael Jones
Posts: 642
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:37 pm

Re: Karpov playing chess with Martians

Post by Michael Jones » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:10 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Kasparov visiting a children's hospital in 1988:

http://visualrian.com/images/item/40861
World Chess Champion Garry Kasparov (right) with the children
Just in case we weren't quite sure which one he was...

Post Reply