I am sorry to inform you that Ian Bates died on Wednesday 17th December 2025.
Ian was a constant presence for decades at Holmes Chapel Chess Club, serving as Chairman, Secretary and club captain.
He also served on the Stockport Chess League Disputes Committee.
Ian was also an International Arbiter, officiating at events around the world. He also spent time at the 27th Chess Olympiad in 1986 in Dubai. There, he collected signed scoresheets from some of the world's leading players.
Ian's funeral will be held at Birches Crematorium, Lach Dennis, Northwich, Cheshire, CW9 7SU, on Friday 23rd January 2026 at 2pm.
RIP
IA Ian Bates
-
LawrenceCooper
- Posts: 8757
- Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am
Re: IA Ian Bates
Very sad news. I played against him several times (I found four games) in the mid 80s when I was a junior playing for Stafford against Holmes Chapel in the North Staffs League. Most of all, I remember him as a genuinely nice guy who was supportive of my chess and I was always happy to see him when our paths crossed in later years.Simon Rogers wrote: ↑Sun Jan 18, 2026 8:10 pmI am sorry to inform you that Ian Bates died on Wednesday 17th December 2025.
Ian was a constant presence for decades at Holmes Chapel Chess Club, serving as Chairman, Secretary and club captain.
He also served on the Stockport Chess League Disputes Committee.
Ian was also an International Arbiter, officiating at events around the world. He also spent time at the 27th Chess Olympiad I 1986 in Dubai. There, he collected signed scoresheets from some of the world's leading players.
Ian's funeral will be held at Birches Crematorium, Lach Dennis, Northwich, Cheshire, CW9 7SU, on Friday 23rd January 2026 at 2pm.
RIP
-
Paul McKeown
- Posts: 3828
- Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:01 pm
- Location: Hayes (Middx)
Re: IA Ian Bates
If Ian Bates was genuinely an IA, then it might be nice for someone to ask FIDE and the ECF to correct their records, none of which seem to indicate the title having been conferred:
- https://ratings.fide.com/profile/423890
- https://arbiters.fide.com/wp-content/up ... biters.pdf
- https://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-cont ... 260107.pdf
International Arbiter, FIDE Instructor
Richmond Junior Chess Club
Fulham Junior Chess Club
ECF Games Played Abroad Administrator
Richmond Junior Chess Club
Fulham Junior Chess Club
ECF Games Played Abroad Administrator
-
MartinCarpenter
- Posts: 3189
- Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 10:58 am
Re: IA Ian Bates
I can't remember him specifically, but Holmes Chapel were always a very nice bunch when we played them in the Stockport league
A credit to him as one of their organisers.