Queen sacrifices against Englishmen
- MJMcCready
- Posts: 4417
- Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm
Queen sacrifices against Englishmen
From what I can gather, GM Miles appears to have had the misfortune of being defeated by queen sacrifices more than any other English GM. I thought it was only GM Plaskett who pulled that off against him but I was wrong, Kasparov and Georgiev also did. Did anyone else defeat him with a queen sacrifice and is this a record for an English GM in terms of such defeats?
GM Plaskett
https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1097818
GM Kasparov
https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1070182
GM Georgiev
https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1098271
GM Plaskett
https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1097818
GM Kasparov
https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1070182
GM Georgiev
https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1098271
- IM Jack Rudd
- Posts: 5178
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
- Location: Bideford
- Contact:
Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen
This is likely a function of how frequently they play, yesno? The record holder's probably Arkell or Hebden or someone like that.
- MJMcCready
- Posts: 4417
- Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm
Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen
Are such games recorded or noteable even? I can't find any involving either of them.IM Jack Rudd wrote: ↑Sun May 25, 2025 6:48 amThis is likely a function of how frequently they play, yesno? The record holder's probably Arkell or Hebden or someone like that.
- IM Jack Rudd
- Posts: 5178
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
- Location: Bideford
- Contact:
- MJMcCready
- Posts: 4417
- Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm
Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen
Well played
-
Andrew Martin
- Posts: 1048
- Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:37 pm
Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen
Although I was on the receiving end,I always felt this was a great game by Jon:
https://zh.chesstempo.com/game-database ... in/2750211
https://zh.chesstempo.com/game-database ... in/2750211
- Christopher Kreuzer
- Posts: 10978
- Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
- Location: London
Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen
That is very impressive, and a genuine long-term queen sacrifice. Why the Chinese-language (zh) domain of chesstempo though?Andrew Martin wrote: ↑Wed May 28, 2025 7:40 pmAlthough I was on the receiving end,I always felt this was a great game by Jon:
https://zh.chesstempo.com/game-database ... in/2750211
Jon S Speelman (2575) - Andrew D Martin (2300) 1-0
BCF-ch (Torquay) [6] 1982.8.??
- MJMcCready
- Posts: 4417
- Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm
Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen
Over twenty moves heavily down on material, no wonder he went on to become 3rd in the world.
-
Geoff Chandler
- Posts: 3827
- Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:36 pm
- Location: Under Cover
- Contact:
Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen
Jack posted; 'The record holder's probably Arkell or Hebden or someone like that.'
MJMcCready replied; 'I can't find any involving either of them.'
If the banner had been 'Queen Sacrifices Against English Players' we could include Keith Arkell vs Susan Caldwell https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=2281564 and Sheila Jackson vs Keith Arkell https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1538664
Back to Englishmen and this is a good one. Gary Lane vs Keith Arkell, Paignton Open, 1988.
MJMcCready replied; 'I can't find any involving either of them.'
If the banner had been 'Queen Sacrifices Against English Players' we could include Keith Arkell vs Susan Caldwell https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=2281564 and Sheila Jackson vs Keith Arkell https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1538664
Back to Englishmen and this is a good one. Gary Lane vs Keith Arkell, Paignton Open, 1988.
- MJMcCready
- Posts: 4417
- Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm
Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen
Fair point. I took an interest because I assumed that Queen sacrifices are the least commonly played sacrifices although having said that you don't see rook sacrifices very often either.
-
Keith Arkell
- Posts: 1096
- Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:10 am
Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen
I'd forgotten I'd played Susan Caldwell before. We played once again in February this year, at the Cheadle Open. It can't be very often that 44 years go by between the first and second encounter between 2 players.Geoff Chandler wrote: ↑Thu May 29, 2025 2:57 amJack posted; 'The record holder's probably Arkell or Hebden or someone like that.'
MJMcCready replied; 'I can't find any involving either of them.'
If the banner had been 'Queen Sacrifices Against English Players' we could include Keith Arkell vs Susan Caldwell https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=2281564 and Sheila Jackson vs Keith Arkell https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1538664
Back to Englishmen and this is a good one. Gary Lane vs Keith Arkell, Paignton Open, 1988.
-
Richard James
- Posts: 1333
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:34 pm
- Location: Twickenham
- Contact:
Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen
Nick Faulks and I can beat that by four years: our first encounter was in 1975 and our second in 2023. Neither game involved a queen sacrifice, though.Keith Arkell wrote: ↑Wed Jun 04, 2025 3:28 pmIt can't be very often that 44 years go by between the first and second encounter between 2 players.
-
Ian Thompson
- Posts: 4283
- Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:31 pm
- Location: Awbridge, Hampshire
Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen
Probably not, but it's not a record. I played Dave Hackett for the first time on 16 December 1978, at the Islington Intermediate, and for the second time on the 22 February 2025 in the Chiltern League - 46 years, 83 days later. That beat my previous record of playing Neil Bradbury for the first time on 27 April 1979, at the SCCU U18 championship, and for the second time on 7 May 2023 at the English O50 championship - 44 years, 10 days later.Keith Arkell wrote: ↑Wed Jun 04, 2025 3:28 pmI'd forgotten I'd played Susan Caldwell before. We played once again in February this year, at the Cheadle Open. It can't be very often that 44 years go by between the first and second encounter between 2 players.
- Matt Mackenzie
- Posts: 6387
- Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
- Location: Millom, Cumbria
Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen
I'm sure even 46 years is quite beatable.....
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)
-
Richard James
- Posts: 1333
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:34 pm
- Location: Twickenham
- Contact:
Re: Queen sacrifices against Englishmen
48 years by Nick Faulks and myself: see my post above.