Carlsen v Nepomniatchi 2021 World Championship

The very latest International round up of English news.
MJMcCready

Re: Carlsen v Nepomniatchi 2021 World Championship

Post by MJMcCready » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:41 am

Yeah I take your points but reiterate my own. He's known as an attacking player and we've seen very little of that. Why does an attacking player lean on the Petroff? I would have said it's more in keeping with his style to play the Sicilian Najdorf or maybe even something like a Scandinavian. When he fell behind and stuck to the Petroff, I found that very surprising, and Carlsen also said he wasn't expecting it. Something somewhere has gone wrong. There doesn't seem to be any real flow to his play but if he had gone for more double-edged positions from the opening, he would have given himself more chances. I can't understand his reliance on the Petroff.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:48 am

MJMcCready wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:41 am
Why does an attacking player lean on the Petroff? I
Because he has the Black pieces against the world champion and because at the very top level invoking "the Petroff" doesn't mean anything
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:50 am

Ifs known to be drawish and leading to balanced and symmetrical positions. I would say that makes a world of difference especially if its not in keeping with your own natural style and not something you normally play -as is the case with Nepo.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:53 am

MJMcCready wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:50 am
Ifs known to be drawish
Which openings do you think are not drawish at the highest level against a supremely-prepared opponent?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:00 am

The ones which aren't so symmetrical -which is nearly all of them. He seems to know what he's doing with the Sicilian more than most. I don't know what's put him off it, Caruana had some doubled-edged positions in his match, certainly more than Nepo has had.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:00 am

MJMcCready wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:00 am
Caruana had some doubled-edged positions in his match, certainly more than Nepo has had.
Including the game where he missed a win: a cunning opening choice on his part.
MJMcCready wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:00 am
The ones which aren't so symmetrical -which is nearly all of them.
Do you think they're playing club chess or supergrandmaster chess?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:02 am

Well, that's a separate issue -at least he had the chances to win and I suspect Nepo will never get that with the Petroff -I nearly fell asleep in the last one.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:04 am

MJMcCready wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:02 am
Well, that's a separate issue
It's not, though, is it?
MJMcCready wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:02 am
at least he had the chances to win and I suspect Nepo will never get that with the Petroff -I nearly fell asleep in the last one.
You understand that Nepo played that last game entirely with a draw in mind, and that Caruana did not?

You don't seem to grasp at all that at this level, opening preparation does not involve selecting from a symmetrical or non-symmetrical opening because one kind is exciting and one kind is not.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:09 am

I mean really, you need to get your head round the idea that for the best players, getting a double-edged position with Black is not at all a trivial matter and that there seems no way of doing so other than accepting a decidedly inferior position and hoping for the best. There was more than one example toward the end of the last Candidates tournament, for instance. You can't just pick the Sicilian and somehow that gets you an active game.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:15 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:04 am
You understand that Nepo played that last game entirely with a draw in mind
Lines with Qe2 and Qe7 in the Petroff were once dubbed the Spassky's Tennis Court" variation. This was named because of a supposition that the former World Champion would play it when looking for an early finish to his chess obligatios and an early start to a game of tennis. Maybe by playing it, Carlsen was showing thay he might be content to halve out, with the White pieces at least. "
"

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:41 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:09 am
I mean really, you need to get your head round the idea that for the best players, getting a double-edged position with Black is not at all a trivial matter and that there seems no way of doing so other than accepting a decidedly inferior position and hoping for the best. There was more than one example toward the end of the last Candidates tournament, for instance. You can't just pick the Sicilian and somehow that gets you an active game.
It remains to be addressed why Carlsen looked surprised in the game and said himself he was surprised at facing another Petroff. Why do you think even he was surprised?

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:44 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:15 am
JustinHorton wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:04 am
You understand that Nepo played that last game entirely with a draw in mind
Lines with Qe2 and Qe7 in the Petroff were once dubbed the Spassky's Tennis Court" variation. This was named because of a supposition that the former World Champion would play it when looking for an early finish to his chess obligatios and an early start to a game of tennis. Maybe by playing it, Carlsen was showing thay he might be content to halve out, with the White pieces at least. "
"
Well, a game of tennis after a Petroff is a good continuation, certainly more exciting than the OTB stuff.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:27 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:09 am
David Howell has just said that Nepo did not get where he was by playing the Petroff and even he doesn't understand why he chose such a passive opening. He also refers to a change in character -so there you are!

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:42 pm

Carlsen doesn't play the Petroff today, he must be playing for a win :wink:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:59 pm

He hasn't been playing that -so why say 'he doesn't play the Petroff today' if he hasn't at any point in the match? If sarcasm is your point it ought to have some degree of relevance.