Game Fee Hike
-
Sean Hewitt
Game Fee Hike
I notice from the ECF papers for the council meeting that the board are proposing to hike game fee from 50p per half game (ie £1 per game) to 54p - another inflation busting rise of 8%.
How much longer will the Turkeys at council vote to flush further chess players cash down the ECF toilet?!
How much longer will the Turkeys at council vote to flush further chess players cash down the ECF toilet?!
-
Alex Holowczak
- Posts: 9326
- Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
- Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
- Contact:
Re: Game Fee Hike
Having read the same papers, this will be voted on at the Finance Meeting in April. The Finance Director will presumably give a speech explaining why it is necessary. I'll reserve judgement until I hear that, but until then, I'm firmly in the nay camp.
-
Roger de Coverly
- Posts: 22667
- Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm
Re: Game Fee Hike
At the last time of reporting, the ECF was spending more than its income on almost all its activities. Are there any reports/hints of how it has stabilised its financial position?Sean Hewitt wrote:I notice from the ECF papers for the council meeting that the board are proposing to hike game fee from 50p per half game (ie £1 per game) to 54p - another inflation busting rise of 8%.
-
J T Melsom
- Posts: 1315
- Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:12 pm
Re: Game Fee Hike
We live in difficult times. Not only is our national organisation trying to price us out of playing chess, but our national government is trying to stop us going for a beer after the game. So it's a trip to the supermarket and on-line chess as the way ahead.
-
Sean Hewitt
Re: Game Fee Hike
I haven't downloaded the papers yet. I intend to do so over the weekend and I hope to see some significant cost reduction proposals.Roger de Coverly wrote:At the last time of reporting, the ECF was spending more than its income on almost all its activities. Are there any reports/hints of how it has stabilised its financial position?Sean Hewitt wrote:I notice from the ECF papers for the council meeting that the board are proposing to hike game fee from 50p per half game (ie £1 per game) to 54p - another inflation busting rise of 8%.
EDIT : Turns out that the reason I haven't been able to download the papers yet was not because I am an IT Klutz (as I thought) but because the papers are not yet available and the web page URL distributed does not yet exist. I've suggested they put up a holding page since they've sent the URL out and they are now going to do that.
Last edited by Sean Hewitt on Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
David Lettington
- Posts: 177
- Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:37 pm
Re: Game Fee Hike
[quote="Sean Hewitt"]...the board are proposing to hike game fee from 50p per half game (ie £1 per game) to 54p - another inflation busting rise of 8%.[quote]
I know I'm going to get shouted down here, but to me that's pretty cheap to play a game of chess and personally I'd be prepared to pay more if it helped to stabilise the ECF's financial position providing I could be certain that it wouldn't be wasted on projects that are obviously failing like the Chess Sets for Schools fiasco.
I know I'm going to get shouted down here, but to me that's pretty cheap to play a game of chess and personally I'd be prepared to pay more if it helped to stabilise the ECF's financial position providing I could be certain that it wouldn't be wasted on projects that are obviously failing like the Chess Sets for Schools fiasco.
-
Alex Holowczak
- Posts: 9326
- Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
- Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
- Contact:
Re: Game Fee Hike
Would you pay the Game Fee for BUCA on my behalf then?David Lettington wrote:Sean Hewitt wrote:...the board are proposing to hike game fee from 50p per half game (ie £1 per game) to 54p - another inflation busting rise of 8%.
I know I'm going to get shouted down here, but to me that's pretty cheap to play a game of chess and personally I'd be prepared to pay more if it helped to stabilise the ECF's financial position providing I could be certain that it wouldn't be wasted on projects that are obviously failing like the Chess Sets for Schools fiasco.
-
David Lettington
- Posts: 177
- Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:37 pm
Re: Game Fee Hike
I'd rather just pay for my own games 
- Carl Hibbard
- Posts: 6135
- Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
- Location: Evesham
Re: Game Fee Hike
A good point but I don't actually think its considered a dead project yet?David Lettington wrote:I know I'm going to get shouted down here, but to me that's pretty cheap to play a game of chess and personally I'd be prepared to pay more if it helped to stabilise the ECF's financial position providing I could be certain that it wouldn't be wasted on projects that are obviously failing like the Chess Sets for Schools fiasco.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard
Carl Hibbard
-
Sean Hewitt
Re: Game Fee Hike
If it's £1 to play a game of chess I would agree with you. But it's not. It's £1 to grade a game of chess.David Lettington wrote: I know I'm going to get shouted down here, but to me that's pretty cheap to play a game of chess
I'm afraid that it's precisely because of losing money on things like Chess for Schools and spending £120k per annum on admin that this hike is being sought.David Lettington wrote:personally I'd be prepared to pay more if it helped to stabilise the ECF's financial position providing I could be certain that it wouldn't be wasted on projects that are obviously failing like the Chess Sets for Schools fiasco.
- Adam Raoof
- Posts: 2736
- Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:16 pm
- Location: NW4 4UY
- Contact:
Re: Game Fee Hike
I can honestly say that, having read the papers and heard at length from our new Finance Director, that I have never been more confident that we are in a sound financial position. We have a positive and ambitious strategy for the coming year that will put us on a firmer financial footing, that is rooted in common sense, that is workable and that has the support of the Board and will probably get support from Council after some forensic examination.
Most of the searching questions to be asked are about where our money has been spent in the past, and I am looking forward to the meeting. The Board as I see it right now would not be party to future initiatives that were not reasonable, democratic, and value for money.
I have made enquiries about the papers not being on the site when I tried to download them last night, and I am assured that things are being sorted!
Most of the searching questions to be asked are about where our money has been spent in the past, and I am looking forward to the meeting. The Board as I see it right now would not be party to future initiatives that were not reasonable, democratic, and value for money.
I have made enquiries about the papers not being on the site when I tried to download them last night, and I am assured that things are being sorted!
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
-
Sean Hewitt
Re: Game Fee Hike
The past is history Adam. The most searching question is why the ECF need an 8% hike in game fee going forward.Adam Raoof wrote: Most of the searching questions to be asked are about where our money has been spent in the past, and I am looking forward to the meeting. The Board as I see it right now would not be party to future initiatives that were not reasonable, democratic, and value for money.
- Adam Raoof
- Posts: 2736
- Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:16 pm
- Location: NW4 4UY
- Contact:
Re: Game Fee Hike
So you won't be asking any questions about the past activities of the Board, Sean? That is a disappointmentAdam Raoof wrote:We have a positive and ambitious strategy for the coming year that will put us on a firmer financial footing, that is rooted in common sense, that is workable and that has the support of the Board and will probably get support from Council after some forensic examination.
Last edited by Adam Raoof on Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
-
Phil Neatherway
- Posts: 686
- Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:10 pm
- Location: Abingdon
Re: Game Fee Hike
well it could be to cover the losses incurred in past history!The past is history Adam. The most searching question is why the ECF need an 8% hike in game fee going forward.
-
Sean Hewitt
Re: Game Fee Hike
The actions of the current board (most of whom are the past board) are what matters. The only way to put the ECF on a firmer financial footing is to cut it's costs. If the ECF board were to look at the real world that's what every company in the land is trying to do. I hope that when we eventually get the papers we will see significant cost reductions being budgeted.Adam Raoof wrote:So you won't be asking any questions about the past activities of the Board, Sean? That is a disappointmentAdam Raoof wrote:We have a positive and ambitious strategy for the coming year that will put us on a firmer financial footing, that is rooted in common sense, that is workable and that has the support of the Board and will probably get support from Council after some forensic examination.
All the evidence from previous years shows that putting up game fee brings in no additional revenue. It will be interesting to see what assumptions to the revenue line this board believe an 8% hike in game fee will bring.