Which style of music don't you like and why?

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Simon Rogers

Re: Which style of music don't you like and why?

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon May 31, 2021 10:25 am

R & B is ok. But some of it is terrible.
I didn't like Candy Shop by 50 Cent.
Also I remember a song called Gasolina by Daddy Yankee.
Spanish R & B song about a woman who likes Gasoline.
Appeared on an episode of Top of the Pops in 2010 which was presented by Jeremy Clarkson, who described the song as "awful."
When I heard it in a nightclub, I went home.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon May 31, 2021 1:02 pm

Everyone has different tastes of course. I would agree that opera has to be seen, e.g. Grand March from Aida sounds good, but if properly staged (perhaps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh-yCMyoWJk) it is spectacular.

Some years ago, I arrived in Guernsey for the tournament and looked at the local paper to discover that the legendary Gene Pitney was appearing that night. I got a ticket and was aware that the support act was Bobby Crush, a piano player, who had won Opportunity Knocks (for the younger readers, a more pleasant version of Britain's Got Talent). Unfortunately, our Bobby had a cheesy grin all the time and unnecessary flourishes at the piano, and I would avoid watching if he turned up on TV. However, I had bought a ticket and had to get there early to park the car. I groaned when he came on stage, but by the end, I had changed my mind - he was brilliant, really funny and came across so well. His impersonations of Clayderman and Russ Conway were superb. So sometimes you have to give these people a chance.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Mon May 31, 2021 1:20 pm

Heavy Jazz - the jazz of Miles Davis. I saw him for the first time at the Isle of Wight in 1970. I'd been brought-up on Charlie Parker - what was this all about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEI8O_wnA6c

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Mon May 31, 2021 1:31 pm

David Gilbert wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 1:20 pm
Heavy Jazz - the jazz of Miles Davis. I saw him for the first time at the Isle of Wight in 1970. I'd been brought-up on Charlie Parker - what was this all about?

Yeah, never seen the attraction in him. Meant to be complex stuff musically though.

Jon Tait

Post by Jon Tait » Mon May 31, 2021 2:03 pm

Indie rock because it's derivative minimal talent dross.
blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon May 31, 2021 3:05 pm

David Gilbert wrote:

Whereas in my view, that is amongst the greatest stuff ever made by mankind.

I do share Stewart Reuben's take on rap "music", however, even if I am not quite as old as him :)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Mon May 31, 2021 4:13 pm

Jon Tait wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 2:03 pm
Indie rock because it's derivative minimal talent dross.
It certainly comes across that way although a few acts made it into the charts and held their own.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Mon May 31, 2021 4:21 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 4:28 am
MJMcCready wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 10:34 pm
Personally I cannot stand opera at all and am convinced those who do tolerate it have very poor taste.
Well, I spent my Saturday evening listening to Tristan und Isolde on the radio.

The climax of the opera, the Liebestod, is delivered here by Birgit Nilsson in what is probably my single favourite musical clip on the internet.

I wouldn't mind if I never heard another national anthem again, at a cricket match or anywhere else. Even the Marseillaise is tacky when you think about it.
I think England has changed too much over time for the national anthem to have any real relevance.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Mon May 31, 2021 4:25 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 3:05 pm
David Gilbert wrote:

Whereas in my view, that is amongst the greatest stuff ever made by mankind.

I do share Stewart Reuben's take on rap "music", however, even if I am not quite as old as him :)
What's his take on rap music?

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Mon May 31, 2021 6:08 pm

I wish Bob Dylan could have ditched his wailing harmonica.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon May 31, 2021 7:01 pm

The Liechtenstein national anthem is marginally worse than ours. However, the anthems of Sri Lanka and Italy are excellent, and at least one of the Caribbean countries has a very jolly one. (I can't remember which one and I can't be bothered to listen to all of them to find out.)

I never used to like Bob Dylan or Leonard Cohen, but I've changed my mind about them as well. I think harmonica always sounds awful, it's not Bob's fault.

I hesitate to raise a traumatic subject, but does anyone here remember the Cheeky Girls?

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Mon May 31, 2021 7:20 pm

Paul Habershon wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 6:08 pm
I wish Bob Dylan could have ditched his wailing harmonica.
Then we would never had this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6DN7KRlgOc

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Mon May 31, 2021 8:19 pm

His atonal singing was worse than his harmonica playing.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon May 31, 2021 9:35 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 1:02 pm
Russ Conway
Gosh, I realise that he is one of my earliest musical memories. Pixilated Penguin ( yes, the actual spelling, what did it mean? ).

Around the same time I said that my ideal birthday present would be a record with Davy Crockett on one side and Robin Hood on the other. My Mum tried to prepare me for the idea that such a thing might not exist, but Dad undermined her by bringing home the requested article. I still have it. The singer was Dick James, who went on to found Northern Songs.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Mon May 31, 2021 10:32 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 9:35 pm
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 1:02 pm
Russ Conway
Gosh, I realise that he is one of my earliest musical memories. Pixilated Penguin ( yes, the actual spelling, what did it mean? ).

Around the same time I said that my ideal birthday present would be a record with Davy Crockett on one side and Robin Hood on the other. My Mum tried to prepare me for the idea that such a thing might not exist, but Dad undermined her by bringing home the requested article. I still have it. The singer was Dick James, who went on to found Northern Songs.
Is there a style of music you like less than that stuff?