(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
NickFaulks

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:57 pm

Chris Goodall wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:39 pm
No legal force certainly, but you wouldn't want to be a lawyer arguing that you didn't kill someone after you rejected the CDC's advice.
No, that is completely wrong. You might not wish to ignore the advice of the authorities in your state, but unlike here they tend not to do advice - something is either prohibited or it isn't.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:08 pm

Would something like this be sufficient?

gettyimages-106757397-2048x2048.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:23 pm

No Nostrils Distance...

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:26 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:32 pm
David Gilbert wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:06 pm
(while still wearing masks and practising social distancing in public places).
You cannot play over the board chess normally, by which I mean on a single board without screens, and remain two metres from your opponent. Three hours or more in a mask is unlikely to be popular either.
But you can more-or-less play at one metre-plus, ie one metre away while wearing a mask.
On the second point, about spending "three hours or more in a mask," I had to do this while playing in Mallorca in October (and wear a mask in the street at all times too). It's a bit of a pain if you wear specs - they steam up quite badly - but otherwise I got used to it.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:55 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:57 pm
Chris Goodall wrote:
No legal force certainly, but you wouldn't want to be a lawyer arguing that you didn't kill someone after you rejected the CDC's advice.
No, that is completely wrong. You might not wish to ignore the advice of the authorities in your state, but unlike here they tend not to do advice - something is either prohibited or it isn't.
I'm not talking about the CDC coming after you for not following their advice, I'm talking about what would count as evidence in a negligence lawsuit. The CDC definitely issue recommendations.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:35 am

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:45 am

Then there are these:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:01 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:32 pm
Three hours or more in a mask is unlikely to be popular either.
It is not great, but in my observations, people who are having withdrawal symptoms from OtB chess will go with the slight inconvenience. Even Tim resigned himself to wearing a mask ;)
Some observations:

- Biel and Prague: not mandatory, many people still wore them
- Heidelberg: I think more than half of the field wore masks.
- Sitges: mandatory masks for everyone

All these were big events, which indicates to me there will be enough players that will accept to wear a mask (if required) while some will wear one even if not requested to do so.
On junior chess government want catch up on education not playing chess. Big fine on those organising a indoor gathering.
Please, this is a serious topic and some forum members will be trying their best to relaunch OtB. Facts are always welcome, and help everyone involved. But I was surprised by your claim so I had to go through the full government guidance here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... pring-2021
And they do clearly say:

No earlier than April 12
All children’s activities, indoor parent & child groups (up to 15 parents).
All children will be able to attend any indoor children’s activity, including sport, regardless of circumstance. Parent and child groups of up to 15 people (not counting children aged under five years old) can restart indoors.
So for everyone's benefits, let us make sure we check our facts and debate any grey areas.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:19 am

Chris Goodall wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:55 pm
NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:57 pm
Chris Goodall wrote:
I'm not talking about the CDC coming after you for not following their advice, I'm talking about what would count as evidence in a negligence lawsuit. The CDC definitely issue recommendations.
You misunderstood the post you quoted.

The relevant authorities are the states. If you follow their laws, you will be fine in any state case, and there won't be a federal case. The state authorities generally treat the CDC's recommendations as an irrelevance, unless they happen to be in line with what they want to do anyway.

Chess can now be played in Texas. The Governor says that's fine, so it is fine.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:31 pm

Responding to Wadih, where he sets out para 117 from HMG's "Spring Response" document, it seemed to me that the only possible grey area was whether the two sentences stood independently, with the restriction to 15 applying to parent-and-child groups only, or whether the figure of 15 was intended to apply to indoor children-only gatherings too. I take it to mean the former but the question is how the various enforcement agencies [eg police] will interpret the wording. I'm no lawyer but para 103, setting out the position immediately before [presumably] 12 April, contains the word "also" which clearly indicates that the two para 103 sentences were independent whereas there's no "also" in para 117. If the omission is deliberate, that could be significant.
Last edited by Roger Lancaster on Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:43 pm

Roger responding to Wadih.
Last edited by John McKenna on Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:09 pm

John McKenna wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:43 pm
Roger responding to Wadih.
Now corrected, thank you - and apologies to Wadih.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:41 pm

Not sure if it has been posted on the forum yet.
The provisional dates and venue for this year's British Rapidplay Championships have been announced on the website, here it is:
Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th November 2021.
Leeds Trinity University
Horsforth, Leeds, West Yorkshire.
Last edited by Simon Rogers on Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Sellen

Post by John Sellen » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:01 pm

From the Torbay Chess Congress website

"On a positive note, we are planning to hold the 2021 Congress on Armistice weekend (12th - 14th November). We hope to start accepting entries for the 2021 Congress around the middle of 2021.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:21 pm

Adult and junior Chess when safe to do so. Maybe in Sep/oct. Costs will go up.