(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:15 pm

Chris Goodall wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:42 pm
Is that clarity that's going to be provided by the ECF, though? So if the Plods catch us, say, milling about outside a venue in a group larger than 6, we can say nope, ECF told us it was legal, go fine them £10,000 not us?
i would have thought it a prerequisite for the return of "normal" chess that all or almost all government imposed restrictions on freedom of association are rescinded. If government statements are to be trusted, that's going to be mid June.

Test cases will be what conditions the 4NCL impose for entries to their announced July Congress at Leamington and whether the ECF feel able to run a normal or near normal British Championship Congress in Torquay.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:24 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:15 pm
and whether the ECF feel able to run a normal or near normal British Championship Congress in Torquay.

I believe an unannounced decision has already been made NOT to have an OTB British Championship in 2021.

Hopefully I am incorrect.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:26 pm

I would certainly be surprised if one is held on the normal scale.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:27 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
i would have thought it a prerequisite for the return of "normal" chess that all or almost all government imposed restrictions on freedom of association are rescinded. If government statements are to be trusted, that's going to be mid June.
I see no reason not to trust the government's self-imposed timescales; whether they get overtaken by developments is another matter.
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Test cases will be what conditions the 4NCL impose for entries to their announced July Congress at Leamington and whether the ECF feel able to run a normal or near normal British Championship Congress in Torquay.
Test cases indeed. If I were a daytime TV lawyer trying to blame a chess congress for a case of the CoViDs, any measures that were more lax than the national governing body applied to its own tournament would be a red flag. I expect proof of vaccination will be the contentious issue.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:24 am

There's a list of 27 events planning to go ahead later this year and early next year.

They're all getting grants from FIDE. Hastings is amongst them.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:11 am

Matthew Turner wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:36 pm
(I did genuinely vote for him once as CS Player of the Year)
Thanks Mathew, I beat Keith Ruxton by one vote! (he has not spoken to me since.) :)

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:14 am

You set up the Black pieces and he set up the White ones and that tipped the balance :)

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:17 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:59 pm
As to the vaccine, I would prefer to inject myself with rat poison. At least we know what's in that.
You made that comment last August. It struck me then, and still does, as one which might reasonably lead to you being called an anti-vaxxer. Indeed, another poster described you as an anti-vaxxer in response and you did not object.

Do you stand by your earlier comment? Or have you modified your views during the intervening six months?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:49 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:17 pm
It struck me then, and still does, as one which might reasonably lead to you being called an anti-vaxxer.
I thought we had got over this. An anti-vaxxer is someone who is opposed to vaccination in general, not who is wary of one particular new vaccine. If I failed to rise to the bait, that would be because the term had not then been annexed by our rulers to stigmatise anyone who attempted to question their dodgy data.

As I wrote here recently, but you must have missed, I have been vaccinated on numerous occasions, because either I or my parents thought it a good idea. The same is true of my children. I respect the views of anti-vaxxers, because I'm like that, so I do not find your description of me in this way as an insult - it is just wrong.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:44 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:49 pm
David Sedgwick wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:17 pm
It struck me then, and still does, as one which might reasonably lead to you being called an anti-vaxxer.
I thought we had got over this. An anti-vaxxer is someone who is opposed to vaccination in general, not who is wary of one particular new vaccine. If I failed to rise to the bait, that would be because the term had not then been annexed by our rulers to stigmatise anyone who attempted to question their dodgy data.

As I wrote here recently, but you must have missed, I have been vaccinated on numerous occasions, because either I or my parents thought it a good idea. The same is true of my children. I respect the views of anti-vaxxers, because I'm like that, so I do not find your description of me in this way as an insult - it is just wrong.

I did see the recent comment to which your refer. In part it prompted my question about your "rat poison" comment.

I should have written "It struck me then, and still does, as one which might reasonably have led, and did lead, to you being called an anti-vaxxer." My apologies for the inexactitude.

I agree with you that it is, or should be, each according to his own. I too have been vaccinated on numerous occasions previously, but I have never before been as eager to have a vaccination as I was with the Covid-19 jab.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:59 pm

On a different note, this appeared on the North Staffs & District Chess Association website dated Tuesday 2nd March:
"Chess in the Park to Restart on March 10th"
"Fenton Chess Club will be resuming their Chess in the Park on Wednesday 10th March. As before the venue is in Brampton Park, Newcastle-under-Lyme. As the cafe is now closed, the games will be on the benches in the garden outside the cafe. Covid-19 restrictions will be observed with only one game per bench permitted. "

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:58 pm

Just booked jabs 1 and 2 via the NHS website

Over 55s don't have to wait for the invitation
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:11 am

If the game takes place on two digital boards, there should b no problem - if set up specially.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:36 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:59 pm
As to the vaccine, I would prefer to inject myself with rat poison. At least we know what's in that.

NickFaulks wrote: ↑
Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:49 pm

Nick,
To help us make decisions then, can you tell us a vaccine that you would take and how you determine the ingredient are safe.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:17 am

What is the latest known list of tournaments, nationally or in Europe, starting from mid-May (where many restrictions are expected to be lifted)?
What is the situation in Spain, Germany, France, Czech, etc..?

I only know of:
  • 4NCL congress in July
  • Golders Green in July
  • Northumbria in August (not confirmed)