(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Matthew Turner

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Matthew Turner » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:00 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:48 pm
John Upham wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:35 pm
Would anyone who has decided not to receive a vaccination be offended if a chess venue required them to show proof of vaccination before they were permitted to enter?
You are making a couple of assumptions there. The first being that such a certificate of vaccination would exist and secondly that it would be legal to require its production in order to enter premises. Let's also note that the vaccines are not yet approved for under 18s.
If cruise lines are demanding passengers are vaccinated, it seems to me incredibly likely that some venues will do likewise.
(If you owned a pub in a city and none of the others demanded customers were vaccinated then you would make it a requirement, because you would attract a clientel. That is just the free market operating).

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:49 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:00 pm
it seems to me incredibly likely that some venues will do likewise.
Until it becomes credibly likely, I'm not bothered.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:53 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:49 pm
Matthew Turner wrote:
it seems to me incredibly likely that some venues will do likewise.
Until it becomes credibly likely, I'm not bothered.
Hi Nick
How are you?
I sent you a PM a couple of weeks ago and then tried to resend it last night.
Not sure if you have received it.
If you can let me know.
Many thanks.
Simon.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:57 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:48 pm
John Upham wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:35 pm
Would anyone who has decided not to receive a vaccination be offended if a chess venue required them to show proof of vaccination before they were permitted to enter?
You are making a couple of assumptions there. The first being that such a certificate of vaccination would exist and secondly that it would be legal to require its production in order to enter premises. Let's also note that the vaccines are not yet approved for under 18s.
If cruise lines are demanding passengers are vaccinated, it seems to me incredibly likely that some venues will do likewise.
(If you owned a pub in a city and none of the others demanded customers were vaccinated then you would make it a requirement, because you would attract a clientel. That is just the free market operating).
There are two vaccination petitions that may be relevant here. Those interested might wish to sign depending on their views:

Introduce a ‘Vaccination Passport’ for international travel 4,277 signatures https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/574479

Do not rollout Covid-19 vaccine passports 248,899 signatures https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/569957

Signatures at 1.56pm today.

Of course, you already need a vaccination passport to visit some countries. For example you’ll need evidence of a current Polio vaccination for visiting Pakistan and a Yellow Fever passport for some countries in Africa.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:58 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:
By the same token, we may need one league for players who insist on everyone wearing masks and all the other stuff, and another for players who don't. That isn't a joke.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:11 pm

I had a chat on the street about hopefully playing in September.
Whether premises open after todays Budget is a concern and for some corporation tax and vat.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:38 pm

Vaccines are not supposed to be safe. They are supposed to be less dangerous than getting the disease.

If you live in a developed country, you are already experiencing the benefit of other people getting the vaccine. You cannot opt out of that benefit. It is a universal benefit.

Vaccine refusers do not need to offer any grand explanations for their refusal. Economics explains their actions perfectly well. They are free-riders.

(Being a free-rider is not a good thing. Too many free-riders, and the system breaks down.)
Last edited by Chris Goodall on Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:46 pm

Chris Goodall wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:38 pm
Vaccine refusers do not need to offer any grand explanations for their refusal. Economics explains their actions perfectly well. They are free-riders.
I was not aware that there was a fee to receive the Covid-19 vaccine. I must have missed that.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:30 pm

John Upham wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:46 pm
Chris Goodall wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:38 pm
I was not aware that there was a fee to receive the Covid-19 vaccine. I must have missed that.
The "fee" in this case would be the inconvenience of getting the vaccine, plus the side-effects. If you add up the cost of the over-the-counter medicine you take to counteract the side-effects, plus the cost of the petrol to drive to the vaccination centre, you can translate the fee into £sd.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:34 pm

Here we go :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56278140

I'm sure that reactions of this nature will bring confidence to a sector that has been hit hard over the last year.

The same will go for the hospitality sector and entertainment venues.

I'm looking forward to getting back to my local VUE cinema ASAP.

BTW, I was intending to walk to my vaccination centre but I suppose there is an overhead on the wear on footwear.
Last edited by John Upham on Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:08 pm

Apparently I needed to specify that a free-rider is not a good or a moral thing to be :oops:

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:38 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:28 am
Geoff,
We appreciate your light-hearted zany interludes, but I think all medical experts would advise you to get the second jab. As I understand it, the jab might not help if you have a pre-existing coronavirus condition, but it won't make it worse, so it is a no lose option. However, I am no medical expert, so find out the facts from your gynaecologist, I am sure they will be more than happy to help.
I suspect that was not his second jab, but his second lobotomy speaking.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:43 pm

As for vitamin D, anyone taking 10 times the recommended dose for an extended period is a complete barking halfwit, risking hypercalcemia, osteoporosis, kidney damage and more.
Last edited by Paul McKeown on Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:43 pm

Chris Goodall wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:08 pm
Apparently I needed to specify that a free-rider is not a good or a moral thing to be :oops:
As a technical point, I am not sure this is strictly speaking correct. For example, one could refuse to pay a small proportion of your taxation, because you were opposed to nuclear weapons. That is a problem because you cannot opt out of the protection from Defence spending, so you would probably end up in prison. Right or Wrong, it would be hard to classify this as an immoral stance.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:10 pm

John Upham wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:34 pm
Here we go :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56278140
You won't learn this on Google, but Ian Brown has never questioned the principle of vaccination. He has queried whether whether we can be sure that these vaccinations can be guaranteed as safe after being tested for three months rather than the traditional minimum of three years.

There is obviously no answer to this question, so the only alternative is to shut it down.