Cheating in chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Matt Bridgeman

Re: Cheating in chess

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:56 pm

This probably has been covered, but when the main chess platforms, Lichess and chess.com, ban a player, is it just effectively that account and then the player can rejoin straight away with a new user account if they wish? I think in the online gaming world the companies aim to make bans properly permanent by banning the actual IP address, (although for seriously addicted Fortnite players, I believe there are ways around this).

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:02 pm

Yes. iirc they might need a new email account but obviously no barrier at all.

IP Address isn't that hard to dodge, no. The gaming companies can at least insist on running stuff on your computer to get access. Gives them a few more options.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:51 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:19 pm

Activision seem to be tougher than chess federations...
In the world of FPS, RTS, ARPG and all, cheat detection is quite different. It is not based on "likelihood" or "He is playing better than his normal strength", but often based n detection of 3rd party software on your computer (some games can have very intrusive software to track cheats).
It's been a while but maybe aimbots can be detected by looking at the hit %.

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:19 pm

Looks like GM Nick Pert and WGM Irina Bulmaga were demolished by stockfish or some other chess engine in last nights Bunratty online event in rounds 4 and 5.
The player Hari Prasad rated 1600 and on 5/5 suddenly withdrew...it was suggested he was on course to finish with 9/9 (ahead of the eventual winner David Howell and runner up Peter Svidler.
I looked at his round 4 and 5 games and looks like he gave Nick 3 or 4 tempi in the opening before demolishing him....I never seen a 1600 player play so well

round 4 https://www.chess.com/live/game/7581682325

round 5 https://www.chess.com/live/game/7582311767
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:33 pm

apparently someone mentioned that he is a resident student IM in Limerick however chess.com are probably still evaluating his games to establish if he was using an engine...but regardless in my opinion he was still cheating by pretending to have a very low rating. Quite a few chancers tried this method of cheating in Ireland over the years. One guy rated 2400 tried playing in an over the board tournament by entering an under 1600 competition and got found out in round 2...he was about 24 years of age and was in tears ...he gave the organisers a sob sob story and begged for his entry fee back...he got it back...Irish chess organisers have hearts of gold but maybe are being seen as a soft touch by sophisticated cheaters. ps there was a 600 euro first prize on offer and a total prize fund of 2500 euros in the Bunratty event.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:50 pm

Martin Crichton wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:33 pm
apparently someone mentioned that he is a resident student IM in Limerick
That's seems unlikely when his chess.com profile says:
I like to play chess for fun but not only that I want to become a titled player.
and when his chess.com ratings are based on playing several hundred games in total:

Code: Select all

Bullet - 1455  (107 games)
Blitz  - 1660  (499 games)
Rapid  - 1562  (11 games)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:50 pm

Martin Crichton wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:33 pm
apparently someone mentioned that he is a resident student IM in Limerick however chess.com are probably still evaluating his games to establish if he was using an engine...but regardless in my opinion he was still cheating by pretending to have a very low rating.
There's an IRL player of the name Martin quoted with a FIDE rating of 1510 and a year of birth of 1997. If it was someone else of IM standard playing legitimately but using his account, that's still cheating by impersonation.

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:55 pm

that's not me :) honest

good spot Ian on the hundreds of rated games...I also spotted after he suddenly withdrew he played another game with a 1550 and only managed to draw
Last edited by Martin Crichton on Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:04 pm

[/quote]
If it was someone else of IM standard playing legitimately but using his account, that's still cheating by impersonation.
[/quote]

That looks like a very good way for cheats to beat the system with regards on online chess. Player A is weak but gets player B who is very strong to login on players A account and they split the winnings?

I think the way to get around this is to have very low prize money on offer for online chess unless it is being monitored by FIDE officials. Obviously putting a 600 euro first prize up in an online event did not go unnoticed.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:04 pm

There is literally no reference to chess in this piece but people may find it pertinent nonetheless.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:52 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:04 pm
There is literally no reference to chess in this piece but people may find it pertinent nonetheless.
From the linked article
Gaming is a subculture, with its own rules, hierarchy and status objects, and achieving success or a higher position within a subculture, is for many, reason enough to cheat.
I suppose in chess that's ratings and tournament victories.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:46 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:52 pm
I suppose in chess that's ratings and tournament victories.
The point I find most interesting is that this gratification still seems to apply in conditions of anonymity. Why?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:45 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:46 pm
The point I find most interesting is that this gratification still seems to apply in conditions of anonymity. Why?
Most people live an unexamined life

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:19 am

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:32 pm

The Dewa Kipas vs. Irene Sukandar match and GothamChess.

The lad ran with exposing an 'alleged' cheat and received death threats. He had to close down his broadcasts for a while.

The last bit from 15:10 is good. (the 'alleged' cheat walks away with 7,000 USD.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws-hZrm5jxM