(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul Robert Jackson

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:02 am

"Vaccine Passports" headline news today (6-2-2021).
Paul Robert Jackson

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:57 am

CZECH TOUR 2021
The festivals in Prague and Marienbad were postponed due to corona crisis development in the Czech Republic.
New dates are:
16—23 April 2021 for Marienbad Open
4 April — 1 May 2021 for Prague Open

I doubt travel from the UK will be possible.
Paul Robert Jackson

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:13 pm

Bad Wörishofen, scheduled for March, has just been cancelled but will possibly be rescheduled for May.

http://www.chessmail.com/seniors/Seniors-calendar.html
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:24 am

I see from the Fide calendar that the regular tournaments at Novi Sad in Serbia are one of the few events anywhere in the world going ahead more-or-less as normal, and in a country without compulsory quarantining rules for Brits on entry.
Has anyone played at Novi Sad and know about arrangements for accommodation, etc?

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:22 am

Visited Novi Sad for the Olympiad in 1991. (Edit - not quite 1991 - the event ran from November 16 to December 4, 1990)

Flew to Belgrade then train across the plain to venue. (A slow but spacious train that took about an hour or two at most.)

Stayed at hotel Leopold I (the First Leo), which was originally a palace in a fortress, on top of a hill overlooking the Danube and the main bridge across it.

http://leopoldns.com/

(At that time it was just 50 US dollars per night.)

Good food, friendly people in a very nice town - as its name implies - New Garden.

I believe some English players have played in tournaments there much more recently. (Edit - not so sure about that now as I can only find what looks like one - playing there in 2006 in the Novi Sad B-Open.)

Good to go still, most probably, if you can escape across the border - the UK one.
Last edited by John McKenna on Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:39 am

Tim Spanton wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:24 am
I see from the Fide calendar that the regular tournaments at Novi Sad in Serbia are one of the few events anywhere in the world going ahead more-or-less as normal, and in a country without compulsory quarantining rules for Brits on entry.
Has anyone played at Novi Sad and know about arrangements for accommodation, etc?
Do you think the rule regarding being legally able to travel will be relaxed by the 26th March?
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-advi ... oronavirus

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:43 am

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:39 am
Tim Spanton wrote:
Do you think the rule regarding being legally able to travel will be relaxed by the 26th March?
No, but there are exemptions, and in any case I was thinking about Feb 28!

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:45 am

With the current uncertainty regarding travel & holidays
.....I do not expect there will be any OTB Chess Congresses' in the UK until towards the end of the year (if at all).
Paul Robert Jackson

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:06 am

Tim Spanton wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:43 am
Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Tim Spanton wrote:
What exemption for travelling abroad are you pondering?

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:59 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:06 am
Tim Spanton wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:43 am
Matt Bridgeman wrote:

What exemption for travelling abroad are you pondering?
The curse of the drinking classes - work

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:03 pm

Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:45 am

.....I do not expect there will be any OTB Chess Congresses' in the UK until towards the end of the year (if at all).
I'll be the optimistic one here and will cheer for small scale events to resume once we go back to the tiering system.
Hopefully the vaccination campaign will mean that R0 will be under 1 in tier 1-2-3.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:17 pm

ECF newsletter:

Given current circumstances it seems highly unlikely that we will be able to run an OTB British in Torquay this August, and we are looking at carrying the venue booking forward to 2022. We will confirm the postponement/deferral in the next couple of weeks.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:33 pm

Wadih Khoury wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:03 pm
Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:45 am

I'll be the optimistic one here and will cheer for small scale events to resume once we go back to the tiering system.
Hopefully the vaccination campaign will mean that R0 will be under 1 in tier 1-2-3.
I thought the tier system might be going, and there will just be national measures? I’d guess come 2022 some events will return, and going back into crowded rooms for events and concerts again will become something of a personal risk assessment. You’d have to weigh up things like how many people are getting sick at that time, and are there a lot of new strains about pushing the numbers up a bit more, is it X amount of months since you were last vaccinated so your antibodies are low again, etc. Winter probably being more risky than summer perhaps. It’s going to be something factoring into people’s thinking for years probably.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:29 pm

Yes, I think the tier system is going but you can never be sure what will happen next
Any postings on here represent my personal views

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:39 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:17 pm
ECF newsletter:

Given current circumstances it seems highly unlikely that we will be able to run an OTB British in Torquay this August, and we are looking at carrying the venue booking forward to 2022. We will confirm the postponement/deferral in the next couple of weeks.
good to hear and people safety is more important (hope by then most of the public will be vaccine by then)
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well